Just picked up a extra trans cooler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just picked up a extra trans cooler

well that and I have had auto trans last well over 100K miles :)

they are a good starting point though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dead thread revival, somebody get me the defibulator...

Maniak, are you still running your coolers in line or did you switch to parallel? Also, where did you get a small fan to put on them?

I am now runing the following configuration..

Trans to the Upper connector on the Radiator cooler, out the bottom of the radiator cooler to a external filter. From the external cooler to a 30k gvwr stacked plate cooler (with an external fan on it). From the 30k gvwr cooler it goes into a 24k gvwr cooler (stacked plate) that is next to the 30k cooler.

I'm running 3 coolers in series (radiator, 30k, 24k) with an external filter.

The fan is from a '94 Geo Prism (the a/c condensor fan) and I have it set to run when the torque converter is not locked.

I have it setup so I can pull it out of the radiator again if I'm having problems cooling next summer with a 30k and a 24k in series (next to each other) and a 10" fan. I'm currently not having problems cooling the trans like I was before (when I had a 10" fan in front of a cooler that was in front of a tube/fin cooler).

btw.. I now have 75k miles on the 700r4

~Mark

That sounds good Mark. I have made a change in my plans again also. I went and bought some fittings to allow me to double flare my steel lines.I really want the extra filter to come before the radiator, and coolers. I will cut my main line to the radiator, and add fittings to give me push-lock barbed fittings for rubber line to a filter.

Thus my filter will be before the radiator, separate from the aux cooler lines. I'll mount the other coolers in parallel, I did that as well on my 91 Explorer(using my old 93 cooler as the 2nd extra).

I'll have to add a temperature sensor to see how high the trans temp is getting before considering anything else. Regards,

Just so there is another setup posted...

I started with the factory ford tow package w/ stock cooler. Pulled stock cooler in exchange for a bigger one. The guy at the tranny shop said he uses this one for the F-350s. :D

3-19-06005.jpg

3-19-06001.jpg

Because I'm paranoid, I also mounted an electric fan in front of the cooler. Then I ripped out the tranny oil lines that went through the radiator, and installed a B&M external oil filter right out of the transmission. The fluid flows as follows - Transmission -> external filter -> oil cooler -> transmission. Then installed a trans temp gauge and mounted the sensor in the only opening I could find. I'll take pics later.

The end result is... Lifted 5.5" w/ 33's In town temp averages about 140 degrees w/ elec fan on - 10 minutes of highway driving dips down to around 103 degrees w/ fan off.

Oil cooler - local transmission shop
Electric fan - Schucks
B&M filter - Summit.com
Trans temp gauge - Jegs.com

I just shopped around for lowest prices.

So do a lot of other online sites.

There are simply some things I need to see and look at in person before I make the decision to buy. Since the oil cooler is the ONLY source of cooling for my brand new tranny, I wasn't taking any chances on an online site. I wanted the baddest ***** I could find. Same with the electric fan. I had to do some width and depth measuring to make sure it would mount correctly without major fabrication. Guessing with an online product would've driven me nuts.

Electric fan - I honestly can't remember. Nothing top of the line, just a general 10" one.
Temp gauge - Autometer #6349 Mounted in a 95-99 explorer dual A pillar pod.

You could control the fan with a switched ignition source, an SPDT relay, and a controller like this: http://www.plumbinggoods.com/product_dtl.asp?pID=1736&brand=Honeywell. This controller was originally intended to be used on a boiler for hot water, but it could be used here too. The control is normally closed, so an SPDT relay would make it normally open. When the temperature rises, the relay would cut out, and make contact with the upper half of its contacts. The ignition controlled voltage source would disconnect the fan so that it doesn't run when the vehicle is off. It's possible to purchase a fan controller from a place like JC Whitney, but it won't have such a wide temperature range of 100-240 degrees Fahrenheit. The probe has to make contact with the coolant, so it could be tucked into a radiator hose, and clamped.
Honeywell%20Aquastat%202.jpg

The best coolers are 1.5" thick, almost twice that of the OEM coolers. Most Ford police cars from forever have had them as oil coolers(3/8" NPT).

The radiator trans cooler is a very important device, I would not ever eliminate it. It warms the fluid if it is too cold, and cools it if it is too hot. The aux. coolers do a fine job of finishing the task by bringing the temperature down more before it gets back to the trans.

If you route a probe through a radiator hose, be sure to use Ultra black RTV to seal the crease/crack. Good luck,

Back