Bizzare acting trans | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bizzare acting trans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you replace the governor? That's my guess.

No I haven't I want to try a few other things before I drop the trans again. Thats not an easy job for me thats why I payed someone to put it in. Is the only way to replace the governor to drop the trans?

No, you don't have to remove the transmission to replace the governor.

First remove the transfer case skid plate, the transmission cross member, front and rear driveshaft, then the transfer case. The governor is easily accessable inside the extention housing (it's already been removed in the picture, you can see one of the holes). Remove the two bolts and replace it.

I changed the valve, governor body (stem) and factory spring. You can see the small aftermarket return spring that I installed, as well as the new larger weight from Sonnex.

Not a very difficult job, should only take a couple hours at the most.

You should tackle the job yourself!

Attachments

• 080209trans 005.jpg
    080209trans 005.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,261
  • 080209trans 008.jpg
    080209trans 008.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 080209trans 001.jpg
    080209trans 001.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,564
  • 080209trans 007.jpg
    080209trans 007.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,293

Looks like I have a weekend project! LOL if my wife will watch the daughter im gonna try this thanks Wood.

Hey has any one else heard of this ? One of the techs at the dealership told me that the a4ld had different modulators for the different years and that i should take the original from the bad trans and swap it and see if that fixes my problem ? Mine is a 91 EB X and the truck the new trans came out of is a 93. also is the only way to change the modulator through the cab with the seats?

There are only 3 types of modulators: adjustable, non adjustable, and turbo equipped models. You could replace it from the bottom if you remove the catalytic converter if you don't want to remove the front seats.

ok so i went to remove the old modulator, i removed the retainer and bolt but the modulator would not come out it would spin around. is it a twist off? do i need to pry it off? i keep hearing about a pin do i need to pop the pin out first and where is that?? Is it suposed to just come right out like it seems everyone elses has am i really that daft on this dumb thing lol please help

The pin is in the modulator so it can't come out until you remove the modulator. The modulator is not screwed in. It should be pryed out since there are no threads holding it in. The O ring might make it feel snug.

Ok so I'm the dumb one. I just went out decided to play rough with the old trans and pull hard came right out. Also dumb I figured I'd test the diaphragm the old fashion way ... with my mouth sucked in a mouth full of trans fluid, after alot of spitting I decided to blow into it, nothing couldn't get any air passage through. So this is the modulator off my old trans, a for tech told me since the trans came out of a 94 the modulator was different because of the model year anyone else heard of this? should I wait for a week for a new one to arrive and keep manually shifting and running the engine at high rpms while the trans slams into gear, or should I try the one that worked fine off my old trans. BTW Brooklyn I have read alot of your posts over the time I have owned my X. You are a life saver. If I'm ever in NY I'm gonna buy you a really expensive dinner.

Thanks for the offer! As for the modulator, you could use your old one, but for the cost of a new one compared to the amount of work involved it might be worthwhile to install a new one. I don't see how the modulator from a 94 could be any different.

Well I'm changing my atf and filter tomorrow because the tech at the dealership didn't flush the cooler or lines and the fluid looks like crap again, so i figured I'd try out the modulator from the bottom as the exhaust was just taken apart shouldn't be too hard right. so I will slap the modulator from my old trans in. But I did have a few other quick questions; what is the sensor looking thing with the 4 or 5 pins and the bright yellow plastic, what are people talking about with this lock up, what is a tcc and can i change my servos without dropping the trans? I really need to get a ford a4ld book I cant wait to try rebuilding my old trans.
p.s do i really need a new gasket when changing the filter if it was just changed 2 weeks ago?

What type of gasket is it? Is it a reusable rubber gasket? The part with 4 or 5 pins is called the neutral safety switch. This prevents the engine from cranking in any setting other than park or neutral. It also turns on your reverse lights in reverse. You wouldn't have a problem getting to the servos with the catalytic converter out of the way. The transmission has 2 solenoids. One is the 3-4 shift (overdrive) solenoid, and the other one is the TCC solenoid.

So I changed the atf and filter and gasket and modulator on Sunday. the easiest way was taking the pass seat and console out and i found like $3 in change wahoo. Who ever said that modulator was easy need to get smacked in the head i guess it would have been easer if i could have found my 10mm gear wrench. now the old girl shifts better than when i bought her. The modulator out of the bad trans was a hair bigger than the new one i bought but the one that came out of the 94X trans that now in my truck was huge compared to the other two. i took pics but i cant seem to get them to show up on here. thanks everyone for all your help I missed my truck so much.

Glad to hear you are back in business!

I don't think you have to worry about the different design. If you install it and it works, that's what's important.

Back