Regearing - ratio advice

LBarr2002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
Ok, I need some good advice here. I've been thinking about regearing my '92 for a while now. It's factory 3.73's, aussie locker in front, auto transmission, on 33x12.50's. I've priced out 4.56, 4.88, and 5.13 ratios. I can get 4.56's or 5.13's to the door for basically the same price. 4.88's are a little higher, so the 'middle of the road is out'.

The truck has been an around town toy for a while now, drove it interstate to work every once in a while, and drove to offroad parks a few times. But, now I have a car trailer and I'll be towing it most places. I want to be able to play with it a little harder, and as of today it has liability insurance only, with a yearly max of 7,000 miles. The only driving it should get is around town, pulling my boat from here to the lake (8 miles of backroads), and maybe towing around the car trailer loaded with 4wheelers. In other words, it probably doesn't need to go over 55mph any more... It could be loosing the doors soon...maybe roof, and definitely needs at least a roll bar if not full cage.

Will 5.13's be TOO MUCH gear with the 33's? I've got a 6" lift that I might swap out with the 2" down the road and do an SOA, and go to 35's. I don't want to have to go through regearing again. The 33's are basically new so I'll be leaving at the height it is now (5") with them for a while.

So I guess my question is 4.56 or 5.13? The way it is now it won't spin the tires once it gets bogged down, even in 4low. When I get to a trail I put it in 4low and don't take it out until I hit the road to come home. I want to be able to ride trails in 2 high and not have it in 4wd until I actually need it.

I'll be ordering a minispool too....oh this is going to be fun:D. She won't be so straight and pretty for long.

Attachments

• RTI%20Ramp.JPG
    RTI%20Ramp.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 361

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think 4.56's will be the happy medium. Also if you shoot me a PM w/ the pricing you got I'll beat their prices. Just let me know where it's from and the brand of gears/bearings. But either way wether you buy from me or them 4.56's would be the right choice IMHO.

4.56s. I've said it before and I'll say it again, stay away from mini spools!!! Weld it!

stay away from mini spools!!! Weld it!
agreed, mini spools are for straight line driving.

I say since you plan on going to 35's, go with the 5.13's.

I don't see a difference between welding the spiders and a mini-spool (except about $100 and that it can be undone). They're both direct locked between the axles and best for straight line driving...how is welded spiders any better? If I could afford another aussie or a lock-rite right now I'd probably do that, but I can get a minispool for $80. If it wasn't for the c-clips I'd get a full spool...

I don't see a difference between welding the spiders and a mini-spool (except about $100 and that it can be undone). They're both direct locked between the axles and best for straight line driving...how is welded spiders any better? If I could afford another aussie or a lock-rite right now I'd probably do that, but I can get a minispool for $80. If it wasn't for the c-clips I'd get a full spool...

Mini spools break. Welded (if done right) don't.

Mini spools break. Welded (if done right) don't.
:thumbsup: Mini spools (specifically the the multi pieced units found in c-clip axles) are known to fatigue and break, properly welded spiders are stronger plus if you weld the spiders to the carrier it takes all force off of the cross pin as well. Since you're going with 35s and you won't be going over 55 I change my gearing vote to 5.13s.

I may be able to save some more pennies and get an aussie or other lunchbox locker for the back.

Still looking for more opinions on the ratio...I'd like to make my decision and place the order this weekend.

Eric, the best prices I've found so far are from a combination of 3 websites. I'll put together my best options and send them to you sometime tomorrow. Do you also have 5.13's if I decide to go that route?

Well assuming your 33s measure 1.5" short like most tires do you'll be turning 2300 RPMs at 55MPH which is a perfect cruising RPM. It drops to 2200 with 35s (both of these are 5th gear, or OD depending on which tranny you have). 65 MPH with 35s is 2600 RPMs, a little high but will be just fine. 2800 at 65 with 33s.

Hahns, are you talking 5.13's now or 4.56's? I've looked at some of those tire size vs gear ration charts, but they're all a little different.

Its an automatic.

As far as the 1.5" short, what I'm running measure about 32". I think I will either be going with a Super Swamper 33" (actually measure 33) or a 35 in the future.

Hahns, are you talking 5.13's now or 4.56's? I've looked at some of those tire size vs gear ration charts, but they're all a little different.

Its an automatic.

As far as the 1.5" short, what I'm running measure about 32". I think I will either be going with a Super Swamper 33" (actually measure 33) or a 35 in the future.
Sorry, 5.13s. With an automatic the OD is slightly higher geared than the 5 speed so your RPMs will be a bit lower.

I may be able to save some more pennies and get an aussie or other lunchbox locker for the back.

Still looking for more opinions on the ratio...I'd like to make my decision and place the order this weekend.

Eric, the best prices I've found so far are from a combination of 3 websites. I'll put together my best options and send them to you sometime tomorrow. Do you also have 5.13's if I decide to go that route?

5.13 are the same price as 4.88, 4.56 so whatever route you decide to go it's not a problem..

Well, I think I've decided to go ahead with 5.13's, and you guys talked me out of the minispool. I'll see if the guy that's going to set up the gears will weld it up for me.

Eric, I sent what I've found for prices to your aol address.

I got it. I'm closing on a house tomorrow but I'm going to try to get the pricing for you over the phone while I'm waiting for the walk through.

Well, I bought a 3.73 open rear end out of an '01 a few weeks ago. I stripped it down and pulled the cover off today and it all looks good. Getting ready to take the plunge...

...While your open diff is open, lol, are you going to throw an aussie in there???..:popcorn:

I searched junkyards specifically for a 3.73 open axle so that I could mini-spool it and not regear...then I got to thinking and decided to regear and others in this thread talked me out of the minispool... I can't afford another aussie right now, so welded it will be!

Well, I bit the bullet. My 5.13's, install kits, and notched pin are on the way!

I would recommend against the notched pin... However if you are welding it, it wont matter if you weld the side gears to the carrier,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the plan. I talked to the guy today. He suggested I get a mini-spool, which he called a 'mini-locker'... but I told him I just wanted him to weld it. So that's what he's gonna do. I'm going to get him to weld the tubes to the center section while he's got it too.

Back