• Register Today It's free!

Mustang Wheels on a Sport Trac?

plance1

Reaction score
City, State
cincy ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
I thought I saw a picture on here of a guy with the 17", 5-spoke, Torq-Thrust style mustang wheels on his truck? Im thinking about doing the same as my brother is upgrading his wheels on his Mustang GT and will have his wheels left over. Does anyone know of any fitment issues? I don't plan on using a very wide tire but I do plan on installing the 3" PA body lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to run wheel spacers. Probably 1.5 to 2 inches thick depending on the off set and width of the rims you are planning on running. I have 17x8's on my 01 ST with 17x8 gen 3 Explorer wheel (44 offset). That wheel is probably similar in off set to a mustang wheel. I am running a 1.5 inch spacer in the front and a 2 inch spacer in the rear. Mainly because I already had them, 1.5 is the minimum with my set up. By the way I am running a 285/70/17 (33 inches tall) BFG A/T. Hers is a picture.
100_0831_Small_.jpg

brian, did you use spacers?

Mine bolted right up -

Its a 2001 2 wheel drive ...

i forgot who but some member on here has mustang gt rims on his sport.

Keep in mind it depends on what year Mustang wheels it is that you are talking about. 1994-2004 17x8 Mustang wheels have something like 5.72" of backspacing with a +30mm offset. 2005+ 17x8 Mustang wheels have around 6.8" of backspacing with a +45mm offset, so they will sit further into the wheel well than the '94-'04 wheels by over half an inch. With that said, the '94-'04 wheels should fit fine, as the aftermarket version of the Mustang wheels sold by companies like Explorer Express are 17x9 with roughly 5.5" of backspacing and a +25mm offset. The '05+ Mustang wheels will require a spacer to clear.

Tom

excellent info as I have been wondering about what offset to use and whether I might have to do a trial and error fit up. When I had my lowered contour SVT, I bought wheels with enough offset to push the wheels to the outside of the body, to be forthcoming, I didnt do any calculation, I just copied off someone else who had the look I wanted. So any info on the sport trac with 17" wheels is helpful.

Ive been doing some searching and I came across a few good threads on offset and backspacing. The subject of offset is a new one on me, I never heard of it until I read about it on this forum. Regardless, if I order custom wheels, say 17" torque thrusts, should I order them with the stock backspacing (which from what I read appears to be 3.75 but correct me if I am wrong) and offset?

Thanks in advance for helping....

I have Steeda Mustang wheels with extra wide 255/50/17 tires and lowered front ,
they fit fine with no spacers and only rub slightly at full lock when trying to get into a real tight parking spot. Its a 4x4 Sport but should be same for the Sport-Trac

Attachments

• nakitasx.JPG
    nakitasx.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 9,221

Are those steeda 17x9? I'm looking at some steeda 18x9, would those fit my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr XLT 4WD?

Are those steeda 17x9? I'm looking at some steeda 18x9, would those fit my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr XLT 4WD?

steeda ultralite 17x9 nitto 450s 255/50/17,
fronts rub if you turn the wheel hard over while parking so I dont do that :)

Hey bro, im getting the same wheels here in a few weeks.

the offset for the OEM wheels is 15mm i believe the Torque wheels have an offset of 0...

the factory 5star wheels for the stang have a 30mm offset.

Then Gen1 STs are good from around a 0-30mm offset. i have heard of ppl using a negative offset but the greatest on a ST i have found was -8mm offset.

closer to the stock the better

anything greater than a 30mm offset a spacer is reccomended

It's quite common:

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 17,171

I emailed explorer express and he said his Bullit style wheels are a darker grey color on the spokes with a polished lip. They are machined specifically for Explorers and Rangers and bolt on without spacers. The size is 17 x 9 with +25mm offset, the same as Mustang wheels, except the hub hole is larger to fit the Explorer/SportTrac size front hubs."

I didnt know the hub hole was a different size. did you guys run into this issue when you mounted up your mustang wheels are is this issue only for the bullit style wheels?

I emailed explorer express and he said his Bullit style wheels are a darker grey color on the spokes with a polished lip. They are machined specifically for Explorers and Rangers and bolt on without spacers. The size is 17 x 9 with +25mm offset, the same as <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='mustang';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://canadasrv.info?v=1%2E26&ss=Mustang">Mustang</a> wheels, except the hub hole is larger to fit the Explorer/SportTrac size front hubs."

I didnt know the hub hole was a different size. did you guys run into this issue when you mounted up your mustang wheels are is this issue only for the bullit style wheels?

The member on here who (had) the bullet rims is UIN2IT he has them for sale now he got new wheels. You can pm him I am sure he will help you. They are actually torque thrust wheels the same thing as bullit wheels there 22 in.

22"? Those are too big for me. Im only going 17". But thanks.

Thats ok he can still help you with fitment.

I wimped out on the 17's, financially going to have to wait, bought some 265/75/16's today, Toyo AT's. So far so good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back