4R55E problems, car ony moves in Reverse | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R55E problems, car ony moves in Reverse

don't do anything just yet. There might be a blown valve body gasket, separator or faulty EPC solenoid. You'll have to drop the pan and take a look.

The valve body was taken of today, no problems were found. The gasket looked okey, and I couldn't see anything wrong.
Where can I find info about how to check the EPC solenoid ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The most you could do is a resistance test. The EPC is modulated, and requires a modulated test signal to thoroughly test it.

Do you have a location of the solenoid, so I can test the correct one ?

You could unplug the bulkhead connector on the side of the transmission, and test all 6 solenoids from that point.

I guess I also could connect each one of them to 12v, and easily hear them if they are ok.

I have noe measured the resistance of each solenoid, any comments, does it seems ok ?

130220091280x768.jpg

Finally had the courage to start the rebuild of my 4R55E.
I soon found a pretty obvious reason for my problems.

IMG_13441024x768.jpg

IMG_13511024x768.jpg

IMG_13521024x768.jpg

IMG_13581024x768.jpg

You could make a step by step how to thread if you take pictures as you rebuild it. It would be similar to the A4LD rebuild diary, but for the 4R55E.

If I had the skills, and the time to do that, I would, but unfortunately :(

let me know if you come up with anything. i have the same problem! i replace the burnt up clutch pack. i checked the gasket and it was good. replaces the valvebody and still nothing. im at the end of my rope.

Back