• Register Today It's free!

What is this?

SandStorm

Reaction score
City, State
Smokkstad, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Hi all :) This is my first post, and question in your fine forum. I am living in Norway, and bought my 1996 Explorer two months ago.

Now to my question: What is the "thing" in my picture (sorry about the quality..) And where do I buy a new one. It is (was) situated underneath the engine on the left hand side, -not far from the foglight.
It is marked with a capital "M" and the numbers/letters: "cgs r1537"
and "r15 5%9503"

I am greatful for any answers who may help me :)

-Kai

Uhm.. It seemes that I have a problem loading up the picture. Needs a URL-adress, and I don`t know how to make one :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here's your photo
DSC00914.jpg

Wow!

-that`s what I call service :)

Now I hope that someone knows what it is.

Thank you!

It looks to me like a resistor. Usually used for "Dim Dip" headlights as it was called in the UK. I don't know if Explorers were ever fitted with this system though?

Does it look OEM or aftermarket? It could be used for proper indicator flashing if LED's have been fitted instead of regular bulbs.

SS

It

-lookes OEM by the way it was fitted, and the cables were connected in original shape.

I have another question as well.. When I`m driving with the OD engaged it suddenly turns itselves off, and the OD-lamp starts to blink.. Does that indicate something? I can`t find anything about that problem in my workshop manual.

Kai.

-lookes OEM by the way it was fitted, and the cables were connected in original shape.

I have another question as well.. When I`m driving with the OD engaged it suddenly turns itselves off, and the OD-lamp starts to blink.. Does that indicate something? I can`t find anything about that problem in my workshop manual.

Kai.

That is an indication that there is a problem with the transmission. You will need to have the code scanned.

Ok :)

Thanks!

I`ll have to find a garage who has the right diagnostic for my Explorer. The Ford dealels have only for newer cars :rolleyes:

Or does anyone know where I can buy the diagnostic tool myselves? Which web-store who sells it that is.

the dealer should have the tool. your vehicle should be OBD2. you can by a cheap scanner at walmart or any auto parts store.

uh YES THEY are. you just have to have a scanner that can read them. i work in a shop and thats how i have scanned my codes. through the obd2 port.

Back