• Register Today It's free!

Recent work to my EX

coonerboy

Reaction score
City, State
Herkimer, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 4wd V8
Been busy doing some upgrading to my '98 Explorer XLT V8. First was the installation of a message center. This was the easiest of the projects. Only parts that don't work on it are the oil life/level feature and the instant fuel ecenomy. Not really sure why the instant fuel economy doesn't work. Average is certainly good enough and if I do want instant, I can just reapeatedly push the reset button while in average mode. The oil feature would be cool to have, but I am not going to change out my oil pan just to get it. I did snag an oil sensor while I was at the junkyard, but my pan has no provision for it.

Next project was the installation of a Borg Warner 4406 transfer case. The only real snag I ran into with this project was the front driveshaft from the F-150/Expedition. It was a very tight fit to get in. I even went as far as to loosen the transmission mount to slide the engine/trans back a bit, but it still was a tight fit and caused a vibration between 30-50mph. Ended up bringing the driveshaft to a shop to be shortened by 3/4" and balance. All is good now.

Finally I installed an EATC. This took a couple of days but was well worth it. Most difficult part was installing the blower speed controller. After I cut the connector to the old blower resistor there was little wire left to work with. Then soldering the wires on for the speed controller in an area with little room to work was challenging. It works very well and maintains temp nicely. The only thing I cant get to work is the "rear fan off" feature. The wire from the head unit doesn't seem to be providing a ground path for the rear blower relay. I suspect a problem with the head unit, but its a feature i can live without.

D132DCB3.jpg

Back