• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum lines.

STEPHRSCHOL

Reaction score
City, State
FORT WAYNE, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EXPLORER SPORT
I have a problem we have changed all the spark plugs to the vehicle which is a 2001 ford explorer sport 4x4 then our car started acting stupid not wanting to stay idled. the plugs are gapped at .52 according to the manufacturer.
we hooked up a computer and got several obd codes so we fixed those that included a new TPS sensor, to engine temp control sensors and then I called ford in our area and they said that all the codes that were being thrown were do to a bad PCM (powertrain control module) otherwise called the brain box, so we ordered another one and installed that well tonight we realize that a few of the vacuum lines were unplugged we plugged them into the correct connection however we noticed that when plugging one in that the idle on the car would die and then when we unplugged it would run fine we found that the line went to the spherical ball under the body directly under the air filter and had two lines going into it what is this part called and does anyone know why it is doing this. I would greatly appreciated it if someone could help!!!!!!!!:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no i cannot post a picture of it right now i can tell you that it is located on the passenger side above the tire well in the very from behind the head light and body below the air filter. we did have to remove filter to get to the spherical ball. it would also be helpful to know what this part does

The tank stores vacuum (inches of mercury) from the engine. Don't get this confused with pressure since it's the opposite of pressure. The power brake booster also stores vacuum. Your tank might be cracked.

i will be sending you a picture we were able to get under the vehicle with the camera i just have to figure out how to post it

My suggestion is to plug the vacuum line back into the reserve tank, then disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and then start the engine. Sometimes the PCM learns how to run with a vacuum leak and you need to make it forget.

I highly doubt the manufacture recomended a 1/2in. plug gap. I would check that first...

Unknownpart.jpg

Check this vacuum reserve tank for cracks.

Back