Vacuum questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum questions

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, Nova Scotia (Posted to Edmonton, AB for now)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Tried this in another forum - didn't get any answers - will try it here ...

I believe I am having some vacuum issues. 4.0L 1997 Explorer XLT 4WD 5 Speed Manual.

We just changed the engine and I am still working out some bugs but one thing is really stumping me. When I start up, there is a humming/droaning noise coming from somewhere under the air filter housing (round type). To be more exact, it is behind the passenger headlight and I know there is a vacuum line routed in that direction. It doesn't happen all of the time - only intermittently. I will drive for a bit and it eventually quiets down and almost sounds like the noise slowly fades away and then is gone. It doesn't seem to affect anything - more annoying than anything, but I am concerned it has something to do with a larger vacuum problem. The vacuum line itself comes from a Tee where it goes into the fuel pressure sensor and then branches off to the passenger wheel-well and forward toward the headlight region. What does it go to and could this be what is humming?

I am installing a vacuum guage shortly and would like to ask what normal vacuum is for the 4.0L with a manual transmission.

The last question is ... I am having idling problems where the engine idles around 2000rpm and when I give it a shot of gas after a while, it will calm down to about 12-1400rpm. I have pulled a code indicating IAC and have removed and cleaned it. When I unplug the sensor (IAC), the engine begins to idle around 800rpm, but runs a little rough and the CEL comes on. I can drive it fine, but cold start-ups are quite rough. As well, when I do drive it with the IAC unplugged when I push in the clutch the RPMs drop drastically to near-stall conditions. Does this mean the IAC is working properly or is it what is at fault here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Roger

Back