Need immediate help please - tube hanging off rear end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need immediate help please - tube hanging off rear end

cadgod

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport Trac
Wife just got home from a long trip. She told me there is a tube hanging off of the rear end in the center of the truck. I looked last night. it looks like the tube is attached to a nut the resembles (sic) the nut you use to bleed brakes with. It is located about 1 foot away from the differential to the left (looking from the rear) and is at the top of the sleeve for the axle leading to the differential. I am thinking/hoping this is just a tube that is for maintenance and someone just left it on. I bought a Haynes guide yesterday, but this wasn't in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

picture?

Sorry not at home... It was late last night when she got there. I can try to take some tonight. I tried to sketch something below...The nut and hose is where the I is below the V. The hose is almost 3 feet long and there doesn't appear to be any clamps on either end, it seems to be just pushed on.

V ___
/ \
_______I_____/ \__________
_____________ __________
\ /
\___/

Ha Ha that doesnt work in your view...hit quote and you will see it properly.

Sounds like the axle vent hose. If it is, it should attach to the drivers side frame rail with a little clip.

So it just needs to be above the axle and secured? That seems simple enough. Not sure if I saw the clip on the drivers side, but there seems to be an area above the frame crossmember that has some loose tape.

Sounds like the axle vent hose. If it is, it should attach to the drivers side frame rail with a little clip.
that's what it sounds like to me.

AxleVentTube-1.jpg

The end of the hose looks like that with the vent on it. I understand that end just hangs. But where does the other end connect to?

115_0074_zpszfarhwch.jpg

That's the hose on the left that's curling up?

That's the differential breather tube, it connects to the axle tube on the left of the diff and the other end has a vent cap on it that clips on the crossmember of the frame. It's there to relieve pressure from the differential.

Back