Air ride suspension problem on 97 limited 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air ride suspension problem on 97 limited 5.0

agon3279

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago ridge, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer limited 5.0
Hello everyone. I have a 97 explorer limited with the 5.0 AWD. I just bought it and it rides extremely rough. I also seen on the information display that the air ride switch is off. So i went to put it on and still the info center said the switch was off. So I went under neath and seen that there is gas shocks in the front and rear, which are extremely rusted. But i also found some wires that were cut. I traced them and found that it goes to the pump for the air ride, but the other side that was cut went into the harness and I could not follow them from there. The colors are red, white, and black. I put them back together, turned the switch on, and still the info center said that it was off. I also found the same wires cut on the front passenger side near the frame. I could not tell where they went to but I am sure they go to the wires for the air pump. Now, I also noticed that the air bags for the air ride are missing. I am hoping someone with knowledge of the air ride for these can help me. I want to put the air ride back on but I don't know where the wires lead to or where everything has to be connected. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So are the air hoses are no longer connected to anything?

You truck never had air "bags" - it used air shocks. If they were replaced, a lot of people opt for regular gas shocks rather than the air shocks because of cost, or sometimes because of a problem with the system.

It sounds like the system was intentionally disabled, probably to install standard shocks. The first thing to do is figure out what was tampered with so you can fix it. Check the relevant fuses under the hood, and look for any more cut wires. The cut wires near the front will have to be fixed.

I can post some schematics of the system tomorrow if that would help. BTW, is this for a 1997 or a 1998?

It is for a 1997. I figured that they did it intentionally considering the gas shocks on it. The air pump is still there and the air lines that went to the shocks are just hanging around on the back but i don't know about the front. I still have to raise the truck to get under it to really get a good look at what is going on. I would really appreciate the diagram to help me understand the wiring and everything else. I can order the air shocks for the rear for 67 a piece from auto zone but i don't know about the front. Does it even have shocks for the front ARC?

I think i just answered my own question about the front shocks. I just looked on rock auto and they have front shocks but they are outrageously priced. They are listed for $217

ok. never mind. Monroe has the front shocks for $70

If the switch in the back is on, the Air Ride Switch off message is telling you there's still something wrong with the wiring. Even if the hoses to the shocks are disconnected, the pump should try to run when you start the truck, and give you a different message, something about Air Ride System Fault.

The other thing about the air ride system is, the original system had wires going to the shocks to electronically control damping. The current replacement shocks don't have electronic damping control and don't have wiring connectors (only air hose connectors). So if the shocks had ever been replaced with the non-electronic versions, you would expect to have dangling wires or cut-off connectors.

My own personal opinion, having replaced the air shocks twice and the compressor once on our 1996 Limited, is that I decided wouldn't fix the air ride system again, I would replace the air shocks with normal shocks. Without the electronic damping, all the air shocks do is adjust the ride height, and only over a small range. The benefit is very small. The drawbacks are that the air shocks don't seem to last long before the ride quality goes bad, it's a complicated and expensive to repair, it breaks constantly (for several months my rear shocks were stuck at full extension so the truck was constantly doing downhill) and the system is annoying - when you park people stare at your truck because it's buzzing.

It's all moot because the transfer case on the Limited went south, but for several months, I had the Air Ride Switch Off message, even though the switch was on and the system should have been working fine, and all I did was cut the two wires in the message center that control the air ride messages so I wouldn't have to clear the messages all the time, and if it was still driveable, it would have standard Ranchos or Monroes on it right now.

I'd offer to sell you a complete air ride system, but you'd have to take the truck it's attached to. :)

I've only worked on the ARC system on a 2000 Ex, which only has the air shocks on the rear. It looks like for yours, all four are air shocks, and as DavidEBSmith mentioned, they have an adjustable dampening module built in. As such, these schematics are a bit more complicated than the system that I'm familiar with. I learned a bit digging through my schematics - apparently the more complicated system was used from 1995-1998 (odd that 1998 has the same design as the older models), and they transitioned to the more simple rear only system for 1999-2001.

Anyway, here are the schematics for the 1997 ARC system (which should more or less apply for 1995-1998).

Attachments

• ARC97-1.jpg
    ARC97-1.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 6,724
  • ARC97-2.jpg
    ARC97-2.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 4,340
  • ARC97-3.jpg
    ARC97-3.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 4,669
  • ARC97-4.jpg
    ARC97-4.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 4,484

Hi HWORKSINk,
I've got a 2000 North Face(XLT) and i don't seem to have an awful lot going on with my ARC system. Nothing appears to be working at all and all looks ok from underneath. Hoses and elec connections appear ok.
As far as i know it's all stock and still has the original air shocks on the rear. I don't seem to be able to source a schematic for the electrics, but I see you managed to find one for up to the '97 model.
Would you possibly have anything for the 2000 xlt? I've got no codes or lights up on the dash, just a very hard ride and need to be pointed in the right direction.

Any help would be great. I've got a haynes manul, but as far as the ARC system's concerned it advises going to your local dealer.
Also would you know where the ARC control module and fuse/relays would be for this model, as again, the manual is very vague.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Some schematics for the 2000 air suspension system are in this thread - they differ from the 1997 system:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270916

That thread also has some troubleshooting info as well, and a discussion of the location of the control module on the UK version. As a start, I suggest checking all the fuses for the system, and make sure that the ARC control switch is turned on and getting power. Let me know if you need the complete schematics for the 2000 system, and I can get them to you soon - I'm traveling right now and don't have my manuals with me.

thanks...

Thanks or that info,
I'll be looking into it this weekend and let you know how i get on.
Thanks again for the help...

Back