• Register Today It's free!

catchword location

zecolleman

Reaction score
City, State
Skagströnd ICELAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited
Can anyone tell me where I can find catchword location on 2004 x??? Is not on the door stiker..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What info? Don't know what 'catchword' means... I even googled it! :)

I think he may be referring to the PCM code. (The code your tuner asks for when ordering a flash programmer). If you google "pcm catchword", you'll find numerous references to the phrase.

To the OP:
It should be on the PCM, on the firewall, under the hood. Unless they moved it on the 3rd gens?

3rd gen its on the face of the pcm next to the connectors, some are in the back of it. in all still on the pcm.

ok where exactly is PCM on 3gen I cat see it.. maby getting blind..

The 3rd gen PCM is in the passenger side firewall mid-way down and mounted vertically. Actually all you can see from the engine-side are 3 wire bundles going into connectors with white clips. The PCM is mounted completely inside the passenger compartment sort of behind the glovebox. It's also partially covered by a plastic kick-panel, so getting an eye-ball on it will involve standing on your head under the dash with a flashlight :D

Your post got me wondering myself about the catchcode on my '04. On older Fords I've owned, it was on the driver door post near the sticker for tire pressure. I did find a small white sticker on the right front door jam (between the hinges) that simply says 'MVCO'. That's got the correct number of letters, anyway. Could that be it?

And this also begs the question - what's the latest PCM flash for an '04 with a 4.6 V8?

ok where exactly is PCM on 3gen I cat see it.. maby getting blind..

Here is the info for the PCM from my Haynes Manual, the full size pic is here, feel free to download it so it will be easier to read:

RemovePCMSmall.jpg

Here is the view of the PCM from inside the vehicle. It is the silver box:

ViewInsideBigCustom.jpg

Here is the view of the PCM with the glove box dropped out of the way:

GloveboxViewBigCustom.jpg

Here is the view of the PCM from the engine compartment. The 3 connectors are bolted onto the PCM:

EngineViewBigCustom.jpg

Hope this helps out!!

Thanks alot :)

No problem. Good luck!

Great pictures, BigRondo! By looking in through the blove box hole you can seen the PCM, but like in your pictures, there are no part number or catch word stickers visible on the exposed side of it.

I then did a google search and found that the code on the square white sticker near the passenger door hinges is indeed the PCM catch word. And there are PCM flash updates available for my Ex. Guess I'll call the local Stealership on Monday...

I went here to see if I could find the catchword from my truck http://www.elm323.com/ford-ecu-update/explorer/4.6l_2v/2004/ and started clicking on the part number links - 'MVC0' is listed as one of the catch words and it shows updates available.

You can check here for the official word from Ford - http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vd...ageid=calibration_pub&gutsid=calibration_menu for the latest PCM flash for your vehicle. If your code isn't listed, then there is an update available. This vaildates what the elm323.com database showed.

I can´t find any code that looks like catchword :-(

here is me door post label:
IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

For the Ford link try http://www.motorcraftservice.com

- then 'Quick Guides' on the left side

- then 'Latest calibration information'

- then scroll down to bottom and click 'Search for calibration by year...'

They also have other great info and downloadable owner's manuals.

Are PCM updates free from Ford? From my web searching, it I may have the original flash code and there have been several updates. This is an '04 with 65,000 Miles. Runs great except for the famous 'drive-by-wire' throttle lag now and then.

zecolleman - look on the door post right next to where the PCM is located. Actually the other side of the vehicle from the stickers that you posted. Open the front passenger door and my sticker is between the top and bottom hinges of the front door.

I guess if it isn't there, the PCM has to be removed to see the labels on it :thumbdwn: I'm sure that a Ford Stealership could read the code with their test equipment as well.

My Sport Trac ECU is much easier to access than yours but the sticker is on the ECU box itself.
ECMlocation.jpg

So if you can get to it it'll be there, at least once.
DiabloChip.jpg

ECMCode005.jpg

zecolleman - look on the door post right next to where the PCM is located. Actually the other side of the vehicle from the stickers that you posted. Open the front passenger door and my sticker is between the top and bottom hinges of the front door.

I guess if it isn't there, the PCM has to be removed to see the labels on it :thumbdwn: I'm sure that a Ford Stealership could read the code with their test equipment as well.

Thank you.. there is a code there "MVC2"

Back