• Register Today It's free!

Towing 1500lb this weekend

MikeyLikeIt

Reaction score
City, State
Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
I am going to tow a 5 x 8 enclosed trailer with an engine in it. I am guessing the total weight would be about 1500lbs. I have an 05 XLT with the 373 gearing and the factory tow package. I know it can pull it without any problems. My question is whether I should shut down O/D or is it light enough to keep it on? If it was summer, I would just shut it off. But the high gas prices and the crappy winter blend in Chicago is making me want the best MPG possible. Round trip should be about 11 hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd start with it on but if your tranny is going in and out of o/d alot lock it out.

I always tow with the OD off. To me it stresses the tranny more when you leave it in OD.

Yeah, I shut off the O/D on the way home from work and I was hitting 2800RPM at 65 MPH. It shouldn't be too bad. I monitor everything with a dashhawk and I will be watching the tranny temps but I don't think they are going to move very high. Tranny temps vary from 165 to 175 in normal highway driving. I'll let everyone know how much higher the tranny temps get.

Yes, would love to know the temps.

Must go google "dashhawk". Some sort of monitoring system I assume?

Just found it. Interesting. Doesn't look like it will work on my '02 though. Must be CAN compliant. Too bad. Might get one for my wife's expedition instead.

It should work on your 02? I thought the 02 - 05 were all the same? I'll post a picture of what I monitor.

id leave it in OD, thats not that much weight, and its only one trip. If you were doing this on a regular basis I might have some concern (if it was a little heavier anyway). But 1500 could be loaded into your cab with a full crew and some luggage and you probably wouldnt even think of turning it off for that.

Just found it. Interesting. Doesn't look like it will work on my '02 though. Must be CAN compliant. Too bad. Might get one for my wife's expedition instead.

You can get a Scanguage II...that's what I run and it does pretty much the same thing as the Dashhawk though not quite as sexy looking. I usually monitor trans temp, voltage, water temp, and MPG. You can also program it to monitor anything that the CAN bus puts out....pretty cool. Also, you can scan for and clear trouble codes. I have also used it to monitor instantaneous, trip average, and tank average gas mileage...it's slightly more accurate than the one on my dash computer.

Plus you do get product support.

I run it with a blendmount kit so it's mounted just below my rearview mirror...very clean install.

You can see it at this site:

http://store.blendmount.com/scangaugeii-c109.aspx

Plus you get a combo deal if you buy both together.

Here is how I have my dashhawk setup. There are many different parameters to watch.

2011-01-07_09-21-43_552.jpg

Turn it off for city driving and when you hit 55 on the highway you can put it back on and you will be fine

I've towed a good bit with both my 2nd gens and never turn the o/d off unless I'm approaching a hill or unless the trans keeps shifting in and out, 1500 isn't alot of weight for your Explorer.

Here is how I have my dashhawk setup. There are many different parameters to watch.

2011-01-07_09-21-43_552.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Would be interesting to see the difference in trans temps while towing in OD.

I've always been told to turn off the OD when towing to keep the trans temp down. We use my wife's Expedition to tow a 2800LB boat and always have OD off. No tranny problems to date.

YMMV

The trip went well. It was about 11 hours round trip from Chicago to Cincinnati. I drove down with an empty 5x8 enclosed trailer(900lbs) and drove back with about 1500lbs. It snowed the night before and I was a little worried, but the roads were good by the morning.

I heard too many stories about people burning up theor O/D gear so I kept it off the entire time.

On the way down:
I did 70 on the way down because I wanted to get there on time.
RPM: 3000
Mileage: 14 MPG

On the way up:
I did 65 on the way up just taking my time.
RPM: 2875
Mileage: 13 MPG

I am going to try and upload a video later of my trans temp. It would climb to 178 and then drop like a rock to 150. I haven't read how the Ford cooling works yet, but the video shows what my trans temp did the entire trip. I never hit 180. But the outside temp was from 0 - 15 deg the entire trip. So Cold!

With all the salt, here is what my truck looked like after.
2011-01-08_15-48-25_210.jpg

Here is what I went to get. It is a rebuilt E36 M3 engine I need to drop into my 1995 M3 Coupe in spring.
2011-01-09_10-42-33_15.jpg

OK, I think I got the video online and ready to go. The trans temp is in the upper-right hand corner. You can click on the picture for the video.

th_VIDEO0020.jpg

Yeah baby! Well worth the trip!

Anyone know what normal operating temp of the transmission should be?

Thanks for posting the info.

Back