Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joining the bandwagon, my 4L OHV build

im far enough in this to not turn back, so ill start this thread now.

starting with a truck that hasent been driven in 2 years before i got it. so its really dirty, ticks, needs some help.
im going for a mild top end rebuild. just a nice cleaning and new parts, upgraded performance parts. with a nice coat of paint to finish it up.
update: turned into full rebuild

parts list:
  • 2643 ANCHOR - drivers motor mount (rockauto)
  • 2641 ANCHOR - passenger motor mount (rockauto)
  • SP432 MOTORCRAFT - spark plugs (autozone)
  • WR4062 MOTORCRAFT - plug wire set (rockauto)
  • KS2358 FELPRO - full gasket set (autozone)
  • PR422 DNJ/ROCK ENGINE - pistion ring set (rockauto)
  • m328 MELLING - high flow oil pump (summitracing)
  • 432217 VISTA-PRO - ready rad radiator (summitracing)
  • E71531 DAYCO - upper radiator hose (autozone)
  • B71532 DAYCO - lower radiator hose (autozone)
  • 200-87684 DAYCO - heater-to-thermostat hose (autozone)
  • 200-87715 DAYCO - heater-to-water pump hose (autozone)
  • 58390 A-1 CARDONE - reman waterpump, they sent a 97tm (rockauto)
  • 300-942 DORMAN - water pump pulley (rockauto)
  • 300-004 DORMAN - power steering pulley (autozone)
  • 49237 GOODYEAR - belt tensioner (rockauto)
  • 5968 HAYDEN AUTOMOTIVE - idler pulley (rockauto)
  • 49-410-8 COMP CAMS - camshaft (summitracing)
  • R1092 SEALED POWER - rocker arms (rockauto)
  • VS1630 SEALED POWER - valve springs (rockauto)
  • sev-2027 SI VALVES - exhaust valves (sivalves.com)
  • sev-2028 SI VALVES - intake valves (sivalves.com)
  • UP94172S ULTRAPOWER - timing chain kit (rockauto)
  • 25053 CRANKSHAFT SUPPLY - reman crankshaft with bearings (rockauto)
  • 70mm 94/95 Mustang GT Cobra 19/24lb MAF (ebay)
  • ebay link - 90tm/93tm cylinder heads
  • ebay link - matched set of injectors
  • EF link - modded stock throttle body
  • GM3115200 chevrolet HHR electric fan from EF member
  • FAN-PWN-V3 SPAL fan controller from EF member
  • 1633S-1 JBA - headers and y-pipe used from EF member

later upgrades: 200amp alternator, underdrive/overdrive pulleys. maybe other stuff as i get ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll come down there sooner or later.. I'll try to talk some girl at school into a beach trip and we'll just have to uhh.. make a quick stop to see a couple friends.. hahah

JD if your other offer falls through, I might take those M/T's off your hands.. I've got a guy I can sell my A/T's to.. lol

P.S. - xeek... tell me you got those freakin clips today!?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

group shot. me and mine, jd and his, and my grandmas 2nd gen ive been using
DSC_2143-.jpg

DSC_2145-.jpg

it wouldve been funny if brandon was here. low white 1st gen, lifted white 1st gen. low burgundy 2nd gen, lifted burgundy 2nd gen :D

man i wish i had my good tires and rims on the front for this pic:D MAN my head looks shinny!!!hahahah:eek::shifty_ey:afro::shifty_ey

I'll come down there sooner or later.. I'll try to talk some girl at school into a beach trip and we'll just have to uhh.. make a quick stop to see a couple friends.. hahah

JD if your other offer falls through, I might take those M/T's off your hands.. I've got a guy I can sell my A/T's to.. lol

P.S. - xeek... tell me you got those freakin clips today!?

i only have two:rolleyes:

Oh look.. see now it's YOUR fault!!

02/21/2011 5:13 A.M. Out For Delivery

02/21/2011 6:49 A.M.
The receiver is on a holiday. Delivery will be attempted when the receiver returns. / Package will be delivered next business day.

:p:

Congratulations on getting that boat anchor out!

hardest thing to pull out!!!no wonder it ran like crap!!!hahahahhahaha
DSC_2140-.jpg

my add ons
2dlsshf.jpg

6jht2v.jpg

and on the the rockers,top is sealed power's and the bottom are delta.see how much smaller the oil holes are on the delta's.i like the stock design way better and think ill be going back to them!!!

2mxe3is.jpg

Wow.. I'm really glad Delta were a bunch of pricks to me so I decided not to use their product.. :p:

you have a lazy-boy chair in your front lawn!

guess 'one needs to take a break quickly after working hard on the ex.

man you know what i didnt even see or pay attention to that!!if i knew it was there i would have dragged it up and just yelled what to do and watched!!!:bdrunk:

Oh look.. see now it's YOUR fault!!

02/21/2011 5:13 A.M. Out For Delivery

02/21/2011 6:49 A.M.
The receiver is on a holiday. Delivery will be attempted when the receiver returns. / Package will be delivered next business day.

:p:

Congratulations on getting that boat anchor out!
no its my moms fault for getting me this job that has a holiday the day your package was coming :p

hardest thing to pull out!!!no wonder it ran like crap!!!hahahahhahaha
DSC_2140-.jpg
yes that was the most difficult thing! motor finally came out and that problem came up lol

yea, i forgot about it. if i had remembered i wouldve had jd go down there and sit in it while i was in the engine bay and take a pic by remote
edit: ^ theres also a matching couch in the garage :D

Wow.. I'm really glad Delta were a bunch of pricks to me so I decided not to use their product.. :p:
they wernt pricks to me, just kept pushing their forum on me..
im glad i got sealed power. hell, even my stock rockers flow better then the deltas! every hole on the deltas are smaller!

Yeah and.. yeah.

Getting that crank pulley off is going to be a B****, I had to use a Oldsmobile steering wheel puller from Advance.. miraculously they had no puller deep enough to get mine off.

After thats all off flip her over and disconnect the rod bearings and you can push your pistons out, unbolt the main cap bearings and your crank will come right out.

EDIT -- take apart your timing stuff after you get the cover off, I.E. the cam sprocket and chain, you can even pull the cam out then which requires you to pull the retaining plate off with a torx bit.

I would put the pan back on and plugs in and wrap/tape trash bags over the heads covering the intake valley.so no water gets in the pistons and cam area.clean the block real well.dont worry about the pan and timing cover as much as the block.pull the motor mounts off the block also be easier to clean it

Yea are you wanting to do rings and bearings.i should have brought my crap to check all that.i would pre clean it first!!

yea ill pull those off. leave timing cover on to clean, correct? plugs in? over the heads? i dont have the heads on.
im referring to the timing cover as the metal piece on the front with the pump mounts on it. just incase it was something else...

i do want to redo the whole thing... but i want it back on the road. so if the block looks decent down there, ill stick with it and get new bearings only.

oh, i busted up a lifter. the cup on the top cracked off of one
and, all this time i thought the motor was black. after a whole can of brake cleaner, turns out its silver underneath :rolleyes: lol

O you pulled them off already?? You better be careful cleaning that block!!any water in that cam valley or in the cylinders or crank area will not be good!!

Back