Has anyone had the driver's seat bottom cushion webbing break? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone had the driver's seat bottom cushion webbing break?

Team Chepsk8

Reaction score
City, State
Easton PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trak
Never run into this before!

Driving home on a long trip, the seat suddenly nade a "pop" and I sunk down an inch or so. all the electrics still work, just the part under my butt seems to have no support compared to the front half of the seat.

I felt the webbing from the underside of the seat, and it feels like some of the "webs" or "straps" have broken. Looks like I get to pull the seat out and look/fix.

Anybody had this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a view of the under side of the seat, 2001/power. One or more of the support wires must have broken. Just remove the seat, unbolt the track assembly from the seat frame and get some suitable replacement wire to replace the broken ones. Should be fairly easy to do.

Driversseat01sm7.jpg

Did pull the seat out, but unbolted the seat from the tracks instead, as the seat unit would not pull free from the rear catch after unbolting the two front bolts, and wrestling with the entire seat assembly. Any hints there for the next time?

Found that the center "grid" rear tensioning spring had broken it's mount on the seat frame. I drilled a 1/4" hole 1/2" below the slot created from when the original spring mount was punched out during fabrication, and used this hole to secure the tensioning spring, and then re-hooked the spring onto the srupport grid. Viola! Fixed.

I think that "rear catch" you're speaking of must be the seat belt sliding attachment, unbolts from the floor also.

Good repair job!

@Team Chepsk8: Thanks a bunch for posting this. My ol man kept complainin how he never had enough "support" for his rear in the driver seat. this is what happened
DSCN5093.jpg

I solved this by inserting two 6" pieces of 1 1/2" PVC pipe for added support against the cushion.

Heres the solution. Notice the white PVC pipe. Its between the steel frame and the cushion. This is on the back of the seat.
DSCN5099.jpg

Something just gave up again, so I have to pull it out. As well, the recline is broken.

FFStak - can you re-post the pics?

Sure. As far as the reclining goes, i have seen posts on this forum with that issue. The lever assembly with the sping can be taken off from the side of the seat without removing the seat itself. that just makes it easier to work with however.

DSCN5093.jpg

DSCN5096.jpg

My Solution: a piece of 1 1/2 PVC
DSCN5100.jpg

DSCN5094.jpg

You can see all the way on the right that the coil spring has popped off

Here is the bottom of my driver seat. I have a 1999 XLT
DSCN5103.jpg

Back