• Register Today It's free!

Front seat thigh support

jkopelchuk

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 BMW X5
I have tried to look at a couple other threads on this but nothing specific has come up in my search. Peter or others if you can point me in the right direction that would be great. Otherwise....

Wondering if any other tall people (6'2) here find the thigh support lacking? Don't own yet but have test driven three times. I continue to feel as though the seat cushion does not extend far enough toward my knees and that I also cannot lift the front cushion high enough to offer support. Has anyone else experienced this?? (Currently have an X5 which has a much deeper cushion and higher angle too. Additionally for long rides the seat has the thigh support extension from the front which is nice)

Regardless. Any fixes that anyone has tried? Is it possible to add something under the front of the seat where it raises up like washers which would then add that extra height and support (if that makes sense?)

Or does anyone know of anything aftermarket that someone could strap on to the front of the seat to get that additional cushion length (just something to add an additional inch or two although probably tough to match the leather and might look tacky )

Just seeing what other opinions and solutions are out there as even on some auto reviews the length of the cushion is raised as an issue.

Thanks

Edit: Have looked on a couple other forums (for other vehicles that have the same issue) and as mentioned above, one solution has been to add longer bolts which screw from the seat frame into the cushion and then using washers or vinyl spacers to add anywhere from 0.5-1" of height. This seems like a legitimate solution. Again, do not currently own and have not seen the seat bracket, etc for myself. Anyone know if this is doable? Easy to get access to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am 6'5" and own a 2012 base model with cloth seats. I find those seats uncomfortable, especially on long drives. I test drove one with leather seats and found those to be much more comfortable but not sure how they would do on an extended drive. I wish now I had bought the vehicle with the leather seats.

Totally agree about the lack of forward thigh support.

Another issue for us tall folks is that the telescoping steering wheel doesn't extend far enough away from the dash. I'd love to see an extra inch or two... it would make things much more comfortable. Listening, Ford?

Also on here are posts of drivers seat filler pillow being replaced as it collapses with use and doesnt bounce back, making thigh support more of a problem.

Driver left thigh too low, with narrowed foot well/weird foot rest in 2015s and up, leads to awkward leg position for long drives.

Basically left thigh goes numb, which feels really bad...

I am 6'2 as well, and find the seats comfortable on longer trips. There is some lack of thigh support, but when I put the seat back a little more straight up, and carefully adjust the lower part of the seat it does not bother me at all. I also, like the OP, have a BMW (a 2013 5 series), and these seats are just in an other world: superb. They are known of having one of the best seats available in cars, but that car is also much more expensive.

Ps, My wife is the daily driver of our Explorer, and she is just 5' (the other end of the scale); and find the seats very comfortable...

I've found that most cars are designed around an apparent driver height of about 5'7"

This is BS. I'm 6'2" and by no means abnormally tall.

There's only one current model year car that I'm truly comfortable in: Honda CRZ. Fits me like a glove. Not a very practical car for more than A-B for 1-2 people though.

I've found that most cars are designed around an apparent driver height of about 5'7"

This is BS. I'm 6'2" and by no means abnormally tall.

There's only one current model year car that I'm truly comfortable in: Honda CRZ. Fits me like a glove. Not a very practical car for more than A-B for 1-2 people though.

I'm 5'9 and my problem is just the opposite. I like to have my legs straight out with little bend at the knees, but the front of the seat won't tilt down enough. The seat goes low enough but the front is still too high. This is my 3rd Ford with the same problem. Ranger XLT, F-150 XLT, and Explorer Sport. Love them all, especially the Sport.
I don't know how you guys over 6'2" fit comfortably in any car now days.

The seat goes low enough but the front is still too high.

bwahaha, this is the exact opposite of my complaint... The seat goes low enough, but there's no way to raise the front any higher.

Any current owners - do you think what was done below would work on the Xs?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=9051

(yes I know different vehicle, but the concept in my opinion would be the same. Just currently not an owner, so not sure what it looks like under the buckets and how easy this might be to do?)

Thanks

I'm 6'3" and find my sport quite comfortable! That is with the (10 way?) power seats which may make a difference.

I just did a trip with two 7 hour legs and was very comfortable the whole way. We did 1250 miles in just over half a week over about every type of road you would take an Ex on and the seat was great.

I do agree that the left leg room is a little awkward but it hasn't bothered me much. I'd also agree with Ed that the wheel could extend a little further but again, didn't bother me much.

But everyone is different. You might want to rent one for an extended test drive. It's tough that we only get a short test drive to make a major decision like a car purchase.

Back