• Register Today It's free!

3rd Gen with 3rd row seat

Dragonsys

Reaction score
City, State
Norcross, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Mountaineer Premier
Are there any boxes out there which fit in the 3rd row seat, and still allow it to fold down?

I like having the 3rd row seat up, normally, as it makes a nice small area in the back to put groceries, etc. But at the same time I need to be able to lower it, when I haul my dogs around. I would like to find something that I would not have to move when I raise/lower the seat. My amp is currently in the little well, where the stock jack goes, but I am probably going to move it to the Stock Sub location.

I don't need the 3rd seat to be functional other than the back going up and down.
My Sub is a 10" Kicker CVR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about something like this:
DSCF0430.jpg

I would have to move that when my dogs were in the back, plus I use the space that box is taking up, and I use the storage space under that box. So I would have to move that box around a lot. I am looking more for something that would fit between the 2nd row & 3rd row. i don't mind removing the headrests from the 3rd row for clearance.

I went with a tiny one:

DSCF1908.jpg

DSCF1909.jpg

is that under the 2nd row? What size is the box & sub?

Yeah under the middle row middle seat
Sub is a cheap 8" OEM one that I got at an audio shop (no clue what car it came from, no SN's nor brand) and the box I made it myself to size, I think 5"H 9"W 14" L.

The volume calculator said it was like .15 cu Ft :p:

But it adds the bass I was missing and it's stealthy and unobtrusive

I wish I could fit the 10" where the stock sub used to be...
I currently have it in a downfire box from a Ranger, it is just facing up currently. But it is located between the Passenger front & 2nd row (under my child seat). I wonder if it would fit behind the 2nd row... i will have to try that out, maybe i can wedge it in there at some kind of angle.

Ok, so I moved the amp into the space where the stock sub used to be, and wedged the sub box in the floor between the 2nd & 3rd rows. This will work for now, until I can find/build a better box.

Pix?

Here is a pic of the sub box, you can see the amp as it is behind the trim, I will see if i can shine a flashlight in the speak grill and get some sort of image.

cfc6cc59eb4ed8b6e5a248fda1d138534ada9920.jpg

kinda like this? but with the different trim?
DSCF0372.jpg

that wouldn't work on mine the rear ac is in that space

Subthump makes some good sub boxes. I had one in my cherokee, fit and finish was good and of course it sounded good as well.

Yeah, I have been hearing good things about Subthump as well.

that wouldn't work on mine the rear ac is in that space

I don't have rear A/C so it should work pretty well for me :)
I didn't know rear A/C was an option on the Explorers

Back