Soft roading .... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Soft roading ....

DSRTDWELR

Reaction score
City, State
Oro Valley, AZ
Hello, I'm a newbee with a question.

I am in serious consideration of buying 2010 V-8 4X4 ST. Now, I realize that such a vehicle will never qualify as a serious Moab attender but I would like to be able to "soft-road' in the sorrounding deserts here in SE AZ. Is there a thread on this forum that addresses such an issue for SportTrac owners?

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..While you are waiting you might enjoy reading a little bit on this rig..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98031

4107rickh_p4292287.jpg

The problems with the '07+ Tracs are that your ability to lift them is limited and there is no limited-slip differential, only traction control.
Truxx strut spacers are the only lift option as far as I know, although the people who have them like them. Add some quality tires in a little bit larger size and you should be okay.

'07+ Tracs did not come with skidplates but there is a factory fuel tank skidplate available from Ford Accessories because it was an option on fleet orders.

I have been told but cannot confirm that the OE rear limited-slip from an '04 (regular) Explorer will work in the '07+ Sport Trac rear diff. The aftermarket may have something as well. I would look at the Powertrax No-Slip or Detroit True Track units if they have one for our application.

Wow, this is very good stuff! Thanks folks! Further commments and input would be very much appreciated. I am very much "right off the turnip truck" here and any help provided would be gratefully received.

i would suggest looking into the 01-05 tracs, especially if you dont have a large boat or trailer to pull around. they dont come in V8 but they do have a solid rear axle and will be easier to mod for off road use.

Back