Juicy

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello all
I have a 2002 Ford explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
i have a small utility trailer that I use when i go camping, my problem is the trailers lights wont come on when i connect to the truck.

I have a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter in place i have checked that i have power through the adapter from the 7 to the four pin system with a basic light meter. - I have power to the running lights pin, turn lights and brake light pin(light turns on) but when i connect it to the trailer no lights work nothing... heres the catch when i hook the trailer using the same 7-4 pin adapter to my Dads chevy avalanche the trail lights work fine...also tried this on my friends Cadillac Escalade everything works.

any thoughts ????

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I will get you the wiring diagrams from my shop manuals when I get home tonight. Stand by.........:popcorn:

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

As soon as I'm done with this post, I will check shop manuals & wiring diagrams for pertinent info.

Here is the info from my owner's manual, which is the second printing. I have an early model '02 XLT, and I see you are in the Great White North, so I don't know if this info will match your vehicle. If you need an owner's manual Dead Link Removed.

According to my owner's manual, there are no fuses for towing located in the fuse panel under the dash.

The Power Distribution Box under the hood contains a couple fuses related to towing. It is located under the hood, behind the battery:

PowerDistributionBoxCustom.jpg

#13 is a 30A Maxi Cartridge Fuse Labeled "Trailer Tow Battery". #27 is a Mini Fuse labeled "Trailer Tow Lamps".

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

The Auxiliary Relay Box & The Rear Relay Box also contain items related to towing.

The Auxiliary Relay Box is located under the hood on the passenger side, toward the firewall, under the cruise control module:

AuxiliaryRelayBoxCustom.jpg

The Rear Relay Box is located behind the rear passenger side quarter trim panel. The panel must be removed to gain access.

RearRelayBox1.jpg

RearRelayBox2.jpg

Hope this helps out!! :D:thumbsup:

Stand by for info from my shop manuals & wiring diagrams..............:popcorn:

I had the same issue and t turned out to be that fuse blown in the fuse box under the hood.. (#13 ironically)I feel like mine had a big 40 amp for all trailer brakes etc ... I guess it may have happened when I submerged the 7 pin in a water hole wheeling....
Replaced it and t all works great now...

Back