Drivetrain pics, could use some input | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivetrain pics, could use some input

oddball101

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger Edge 5.0
Alrighty, I have recently picked up a '00 5.0 Mounty AWD donor with 167k on her to swap under my '01 3.0 Ranger ext-cab with torsion bars. I got it for the powertrain hoping I could salvage any nifty interior pieces if they were in decent condition.. not so much. most of the interior is literally falling apart to the touch (mirror, arm rest, seat, back window..). Who cares, I wanted the powertrain anyway so I am good.

After seeing the condition of the interior, I couldn't imagine the previous owner cared too much about what was under the truck either. So I jumped under there with my phone-cam and this is what I've got to work with. I'm hoping someone might feel generous enough to let me know how serious any of these problem areas may be and what I may need to do to fix them..

What type of stuff do you guys see me running into here?

Donor:
002wdMercuryMountaineer50.jpg

Leaky rear differential..
IMG_3884.jpg

Front passenger side axle tube leak maybe?
IMG_3894.jpg

Bell housing leak? I didn't realize they even had plugs like that.. call me a noob
IMG_3895.jpg

Front differential leak..
IMG_3898.jpg

I've played around with 2.3's, rebuilt my 3.0 with a Taurus block, done motor swaps in other cars, blah blah. I don't know jack about these V8's or the awd powertrain other than what I have read. I hear the transfer cases for the awd's like to eat themselves and their associated differentials on pavement when not a matching tire on the thing can be found. Looking at these dark spots tells me not everything is as it should be so I am hoping I won't have to burn my wallet getting things back in good shape.

The engine runs okay I suppose. Seems like it takes a while to want to rev up but when it does, you know it's there. Driving it a couple hours back from the point of purchase,
1. I heard some pops out of the rear when suddenly gassing it on the highway
2. I felt the awd binding (shaking) and
3. I'm not sure but I also think I heard some popping out from under the hood as well at points but I am not certain.

Note- I haven't heard any popping from the front since my drive back down with it so I could be mistaken there..

Yesterday threw seafoam through the brake booster and the gas tank, 50/50. I know, use the pcv valve.. couldn't find it off hand. Took it out for a spin for about 15-20 min trying to let it work in and burn all of the smoke crud out. My way of doing that was to let it idle (or driving soft) and then occasionally jump the rpm's to about 5k and let it back down. When I got it home and was softly blipping the gas in the driveway, I noticed what seemed to be a "clinking" sound come out of nowhere. Didn't here it at all on the way home when I bought it. Thought it was coming from the bell somehow because the location of the sound it seemed. Then I pop the hood and I heard it even louder up top so it gets me thinking it could be a lifter.. A couple of other things I noticed last night was that the oil-dummy-gauge jumped around a bit when I heard the clanking sounds and the check engine light came on as well.

So I get back up this morning early before work and head down to pepboys for another can of seafoam and put half of it in the crank case. I waited for that knowing I'll be changing the oil tonight after I let it run through for the day with some sporadic driving. After adding it to the oil, I then drove it softly and occasionally jumped the rpm's to 5k again (I just love that sound of the 5.0) letting it work in through the oil as well and then the loose clinking sound came back again. I was on my way to work when that happened so I didn't get out and pop the hood or anything. She just started right up during lunch and was all good, with the occasional rear popping sound under acceleration.

Tonight I am changing the oil and if I have time, I will be putting the new plugs and wires on since I just received them today.

I just want to say, it felt really good to get all that out lol..

Cheers

**edit**
Oh $#!7, don't know how to correct the picture size.. thought it was preset with a max rendering..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have not done plugs on one before just so you know its easier to go there the wheel well.

Yep, gotcha. I'm gonna try to find the pcv valve and throw the rest of the seafoam through it first. I'll just run it for about 20 minutes, let it cool off and then switch out the plugs and wires. I'll most likely knock out the oil change while it's hot. hopefully it'll get more crud out of the motor that way.

Can anyone tell me if I am stuck breaking down the transfer case/differentials and replacing a bunch of ring seals?

lemme buy that 5.0!

That leak on your bellhousing is a rear seal on your engine.
The rear axle gasket and cover is super cheap
The axle seal is also pretty cheap. Pull out the CV axle, rent a slide hammer and a puller and pull the old seal out, if you have a big 2 1/2 inch socket, you can knock the new one in, or just rent a seal driver when you get that slide hammer.
That last pic... That doesn't really look like your axle is leaking, more like something has leaked onto it previously.

Find- Big thanks for your input man! I'll go ahead and order the replacement stuff now. Any tips for attacking the rear main seal?

I figure I can replace that when I pull the motor for the swap. From what I gather, I'll be better off separating the tranny from the motor, leaving the transfer case attached.

Back