• Register Today It's free!

Cruise buttons falling apart

jay1028

Reaction score
City, State
N.E Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
I am on my second set of cruise control switches for my 96. The ones on ebay lasted a year and now are falling apart as the plastic is getting softer and sticky like the originals did and the black covering is coming off.

Where can I get new ones that are not over $100? It is ridiculous to pay that much for cheap switches that cost $2 to make.

Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's supply and demand- options are:

1. Deal with more cheap ebay switches that will gum up in a year
2. Find factory junkyard switches from old Ex's
3. Pay $$ for new Motorcraft switches.

Looks to be Amazon for the new parts. Now which one is it?

5928 ro 5919

Jay

be careful with the part numbers, I grabbed a set from the junk yard, just to find that I got the wrong ones... In my case the set I grabbed grounded on the opposite side, and had a different way of wiring because of this, the one I grabbed also had one less pin then the one I had in the truck, so I was unable to install it into my truck.

I am assuming that the dashed number/letter combo is the part number, mine ended in "-BA", the one from the yard ended in "-BB", that was the only difference, besides the wiring, and missing pin on the other part.

Just took the switch on the left out and here is the Ford number

:

F77A9D809BA . How can there be so many different part numbers for the same switch? Has Ford gone nuts??

Is this part going to be equal to Sw5919 ??

Just a thought: Are you using Armorall or something similar on your switches?
That will destroy plastic.

Just took the switch on the left out and here is the Ford number

:

F77A9D809BA . How can there be so many different part numbers for the same switch? Has Ford gone nuts??

Is this part going to be equal to Sw5919 ??

According to RockAuto it is the same.... Orginal Part #F77A9D809BA, Has the Motor Craft cross reference number of #SW5919

RockAuto Proof

Price on Rock Auto is $81.79.

There were times in the past that Armorall was used. Will not be using anything of the kind again. Maybe it is also the Florida weather. First the black covering got gummy and began to peel away and then the plastic under it began to crumble like cookie crumbs. Very strange.

Jay

There were times in the past that Armorall was used. Will not be using anything of the kind again. Maybe it is also the Florida weather. First the black covering got gummy and began to peel away and then the plastic under it began to crumble like cookie crumbs. Very strange.

Jay

I have a feeling it was just the materials used, and exposure to heat that does them in. My Truck has lived a majority of it's life in Wisconsin, and Illinois, we don't get heat all year, like you do in Florida, but the Expose to Sunlight would be enough to deteriorate plastic materials over time.

Had to get the new switches on Amazon for $90. Dealer wanted $250.

Install was easy as others have stated in other threads. You don't need to use the cables supplied. They are just a hassle to install and are not necessary. Just pry out the cable connector from the switches with a small jewelers screwdriver or small knife blade. Rock the black connector sideways to get it out of the switch. Don't pull on the ribbon cable as the wires will pull out of the connector and then you will have to replace the cables.

Here are some photos:
box.jpg
boxlabel.jpg
outofbox.jpg
newones.jpg
oldincar.jpg
badone.jpg
newincar.jpg
newone-1.jpg
oldpair.jpg

Notice that the F67.... F77... and F87 are all the same part. As long as you order SW5919, you get the correct parts. Shows F67 on box (and SW5919) and inside is F77.

You are a lucky fellow, if you had the switches with radio and heater controls Ford wants $581.00

Jay- can you confirm that yours light up ice blue to match your interior lights, or green like the newer '98+ dash?

Joe,

They light up green. My stock dash is green also.

Jay

I realize this is an old thread,but will the new buttons themselves be swapped with the old crumbling buttons if the harness is slightly different??

Back