for all of us that have done a BW4406 swap, or about to, PLEASE READ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

for all of us that have done a BW4406 swap, or about to, PLEASE READ!

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
for everyone that either has done the BW4406 swap, or about to, you may want to to read on. it may save you some cash, time, and frustration down the line.
2 years ago i did this swap when i did a 5L swap in my sport. i found all the parts i needed at work (scrap yard that also shreds cars). i took everything apart just to do a once over. i found that where the oil pump locks its self into the case was broken. because of that happening, it allowed the oil pump to spin causing the pick up to snap free and not allowing the case to get any oil (end result all bearing burnt out, oil pump seized, not going into 4x4, you get the picture).
i took it to a local welding shop to get them to fix it. they came back and told me that the case was made from magnesium, and they couldnt weld it, but they epoxied it. me not knowing any better at the time told them to go ahead with the repair. after that i replaced anything that needed, had a friend re assemble the case, put it in the truck. all is well.
forward to now, i am helping a fellow member do the same BW4406 swap to his limited AWD explorer, and also found another case and necessary parts at work and told him we were going to look the case over as well.
when we where just about ready to put everything back together, we noticed the same problem (his wasnt broken free, but close).
turns out, this is a common problem that not even my buddy that was doing the overhaul knew (and used to be a shop foreman at a local ford dealer for years).

IMG_2508_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2509_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2532_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2533_Medium_.jpg

what happens is even under normal driving, the oil pump will rock in the case allowing it to bang a grove into it over time. granted, the mileage in both my case and this one is not known, but this will happen faster depending how much abuse, or power is put threw the case.
after calling another friend that owns his own trans shop, i found a repair sleeve for it. for what you get, it isnt a cheap repair, however its less then finding someone that can weld the case, and even cheaper then having to rip the case back out, and rebuilding it.

even though its says 4405, it will work for a 4406.

scan0001_Medium_2.jpg

IMG_2524_Medium_.jpg

you will need to grind some of the case for the sleeve to fit, as well as the top of the pump.

IMG_2534_Medium_.jpg

IMG_2536_Medium_.jpg

and this kiddies is why i tare down any parts that i get used

hopefully this saves some of you in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man I wish I knew this before I put mine in. Well so far I have not had any problems with mine going in and out of 2hi to 4hi so I guess I'm not going to mess with it.

Good to know, I haven't started my swap yet and i have been trying to make myself open up the case to have a look, now I have a good reason,

hmm. Hopefully mine is ok to go. I had a local trans shop rebuild mine and he didn't mention anything about this. I do remember finding pieces of something in the case and the shop told me that it was due to the oil pump failing.. They installed a new one. Fingers crossed!

Thanks Tim! All your work is definitely appreciated. I definitely wouldn't have had the experience for this job.

just my personal comments...take them with a grain of salt. ;)

I have welded high magnesium VW cases (blocks). it takes some work and proper rods/temps/proper (slow) cool down. most welders won't try because it is time consuming and they can't expect to recoup the actual labor.

J...things work better if you try (sometimes) :salute:

just my personal comments...take them with a grain of salt. ;)

im not offended at all by you posting that. all i was saying is that some places can weld them, some cant. all the places around my area (and where i work, we have tons of welder contractors coming and going, industrial at that) cant weld it, and couldnt think of anyone that did.

also, you dont know, they might charge $100 a hour, and if it takes 1.5 hours to weld it, the sleeve is still a cheaper way to go.

Dang it I wish I new such a part existed. I bought a BW4406 out of a 97 F150 w/ 130K on it. After I got it home, I come to find the 4x4 didn't work. So I take it apart and sure enough, same problem as you. Oil pump tab broke off causing the pump to seize up on the mainshaft. Got it off and had a machine shop turn the mainshaft down. Got a used oil pump off ebay and stuck it back on without sticking a sleeve in it. Hope it lasts a while. I'm not looking forward to removing the tcase anytime soon....

I actually think what happened to mine was the case leaked, the oil became low, locked the pump up on the mainshaft, then broke the tab off the pump. When I cracked the case open, there was very, very little ATF in there, and it was **** brown in color.....

009_zpsc8727ab4.jpg

Back