• Register Today It's free!

winch bumper or brush guard

NewTrac17

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4X4
I want to get something to help protect the front of my truck and would like some opinions.

My first option is a brush guard. I would choose either a Hunter or Westin ranging from $250 to $375 shipped. Probably get a Westin if I go this route. Either way though I would have to customize a bracket because of my body lift.

My second option would be a winch bumper. As far as I know and have read, nobody makes winch bumpers for sport tracs. I don't necessarily need to the winch yet, but would probably get one in the future. I haven't seen to many used ones nearby for similar mid-sized trucks, so this option is most likely out. I know tacomas are similar in front end size, so I could maybe make a tacoma winch bumper work, if I found one for a good price. How about a weld it yourself kit? I found this place that has them for under $400, but not sure about shipping. http://nwtrailinnovations.com/index.php?route=common/home Or I might just make my own. I have all the tools, and would probably spend $200 or less on materials. Also with a winch bumper, I would need a custom grille. Possibly cut the stock grille or I could sell the stock bumper and make a grille. Has anyone done this? Would a ranger grille be close or maybe a tacoma grille?

The look I want:
winchbumper2_zps7dbad088.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you're out in Colorado I would suggest talking to either TwoTimingTom's buddy or Stang5lgt about building you bumpers, They do awesome work and aren't too expensive. A brush guard actually causes more damage in a bad accident then it helps prevent and cost way too much in my opinion.

I found an ARB winch bumper from a '95 Land Rover Discovery and modified it to work on my Trac. Also look at Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee winch bumpers, they looked damn close last time I looked at on.

Here's mine and my thread for the install.

IMG_4845.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355536&highlight=ARB+winch+bumper

Since you're out in Colorado I would suggest talking to either TwoTimingTom's buddy or Stang5lgt about building you bumpers, They do awesome work and aren't too expensive. A brush guard actually causes more damage in a bad accident then it helps prevent and cost way too much in my opinion.

I found an ARB winch bumper from a '95 Land Rover Discovery and modified it to work on my Trac. Also look at Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee winch bumpers, they looked damn close last time I looked at on.

Here's mine and my thread for the install.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355536&highlight=ARB+winch+bumper

Thanks for the input! In accidents, brush guards do seem to crumble and destroy the bumper, bumper reinforcement, possible the hood, and maybe damage the frame.

I will have to try and contact TwoTimingTom or Stang5lgt about building me some bumpers or do it myself.

Love your winch bumper! I though of your truck immediately when starting this thread. It makes your truck unique in a good way, and can get you out of trouble.

At this point, I am leaning towards a winch bumper.

A steel bumper is obviously the stronger choice but a Westin brush guard will protect you in most accidents as Obie and I can both attest to.

I put my wife's Tahoe into a concrete wall on an exit ramp at speed. No damage to the truck and it saved the very expensive HIDs projectors. For as hard a hit as it took, I'd say it did it's job well.

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

They also do really well on a trail at exactly what their name implies. They shouldn't be bought to protect in an accident but I can attest that they hold their own. They aren't going to destroy your accident opponent but a quality guard like Westin won't destroy your truck either; in fact, it may just protect it. I know for a fact we would have had a lot more damage to the Tahoe than the $450 is cost to replace the guard. The headlight projectors were around $500 each at that time. Add a hood, grill, new bumper, some quarter panels and paint, and you can see why I bought a new Westin as soon as I got home from the accident. Tahoes ain't light and concrete walls do not give.

That said, you may be able to get a steel bumper for roughly the same price and that would be a good choice if you can find one. I got the Westin brush guard for my ST for $110 new on ebay as a showroom model. That made a lot of sense for me at the time. I'm looking to do a steel bumper but in the meantime the brush guard has been great on the tight trails. I'm more likely to hit a deer where I live now than a concrete wall or even another car and I am more than confident the Westin could stand up to that.

A steel bumper is obviously the stronger choice but a Westin brush guard will protect you in most accidents as Obie and I can both attest to.

I put my wife's Tahoe into a concrete wall on an exit ramp at speed. No damage to the truck and it saved the very expensive HIDs projectors. For as hard a hit as it took, I'd say it did it's job well.

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

They also do really well on a trail at exactly what their name implies. They shouldn't be bought to protect in an accident but I can attest that they hold their own. They aren't going to destroy your accident opponent but a quality guard like Westin won't destroy your truck either; in fact, it may just protect it. I know for a fact we would have had a lot more damage to the Tahoe than the $450 is cost to replace the guard. The headlight projectors were around $500 each at that time. Add a hood, grill, new bumper, some quarter panels and paint, and you can see why I bought a new Westin as soon as I got home from the accident. Tahoes ain't light and concrete walls do not give.

That said, you may be able to get a steel bumper for roughly the same price and that would be a good choice if you can find one. I got the Westin brush guard for my ST for $110 new on ebay as a showroom model. That made a lot of sense for me at the time. I'm looking to do a steel bumper but in the meantime the brush guard has been great on the tight trails. I'm more likely to hit a deer where I live now than a concrete wall or even another car and I am more than confident the Westin could stand up to that.

WOW! That brush guard did hold its own. I do remember Obie being in a few accidents and his brush guard did well.

If the bracket is made well for the body lift, then it should be strong.

If I could find one for a good deal like you, that would be awesome and easier than a full bumper build.

I would look into the full steel bumper option first but if you can't find one at a price you're willing to pay or you find a great deal on a quality brush guard, I wouldn't shy away from the brush guard because it's not the "ultimate" solution. It'll do 99% of what you'll come across.

Old thread I started, but I just picked up a winch bumper that was on a tacoma. I hope to mod it to fit over spring break and will update with pics! The biggest issue I'm having is that the top of the bumper is flat, and the bottom of our headlights are higher than the bottom the the grill. Make sense? Looks like this ---____--- I know I'm going to have to separate the grill from the bumper, or fab my own grill, but I need to notch the winch bumper or add to it to make it look good.

I hope it works out! I want to ditch my brush guard for a steel bumper so that i have jack points.
Look at Offtrac's thread how he cut his bumper cover. I can't remember how high he went but if you cut the cover at the level of the lights I think it'll look ok. If you do the reverse, you can also put an LED bar on top of the bumper to cover the gap a little better. Ive seen a few 6.4 power stroke guys swap the newer 6.7 bumper on and have the same problem. For some reason the 6.4s were the only Super Duties to not have the headlights higher than the bottom of the grill.

I think your truck looks really good with the brush guard and its functional, but more jacking points are nice. You're gonna need a big jack to reach your bumper lol. I could cut my plastic bumper like offtrac or theluke19, but I would really like to make the winch bumper flush with the fender and not have plastic in between. That way would sure be easier though

Thanks man! And yeah I'm scared to ever need to do a trail repair because my bottle Jack barely gets a tire off the ground at the axle tube.

I'll be following this to see how it turns out, do you know what brand bumper it is? What year Tacoma is it from, I have a 2013 Tacoma BAJA and I know it's a bit wider than my ST. You'd be better off with about an inch gap between the steel bumper and fenders due to body/ frame flex. Wish we were closer I'd help ya out with the install and custom fab work needed to mount and modify it.

Interesting choice on modifying a Tacoma bumper. Hope it works out for you.

How are you going to attach it to the frame? Using the same method your bumper attaches- the "horns" as I like to call them. If so, I'd suggest getting some stiffeners welded from those back to the frame.

Is the winch going to sit on the bumper? Myself, theluke and stang5lgt have our winches mounted behind the bumper between the frame rails. This should be a super strong location to mount as it's not putting any additional moment arm ("leverage") on the attachment.

Here's mine going in:
C751E534-5898-4557-9878-F59195EE16CA.jpg

And all tucked away and hidden:
6D00346C-57AB-4C99-8D5A-6A9DB0ED7C64.jpg

And, not sure what you paid for the Taco bumper, but Stang5lgt could make you a tube bumper fairly inexpensively and have your winch mounted like mine (or so).

Unless you're looking for a project of your own to take on.

The bumper was off an 03 tacoma and was custom built by the guy I bought it from. Turns out the guy I bought it from is with Northern Colorado 4X4. Cool guy and he showed me his insane rock crawling explorer. He's on the forms I think. Name is Jay. 1/4" steel plate so it is built tough and heavy! Also has a tube stinger to better protect my front and came with a set of recessed fog lights and holes for blinker lights. As far as a winch goes, I'm leaning towards putting one on top or possibly mounting it upside down. There is no current winch plate for a winch to sit on but that's an option to a winch plate for one to sit on.

Midnight I think an inch gap between the fender and bumper should be about perfect.

I haven't had a chance to really figure out the best way to mount it to the frame but I think running a bracket from the bumper to where the tow hooks mount is probably my best bet. Then add some other reinforcements/brackets to other places like the bumper brackets. Not really sure how its going to work out yet. The width of the bumper matches my truck perfectly.

Oh I just remembered who I've been trying think of. Search for 1-Mean-X's bumper build. I'd say his is my favorite of the ones I've seen with our front end.

Cool, 1st gen tacos are narrower than the 2nd gen so that'll work in your favor. If it's 1/4" thick than you could do what I did to mine and just drill and cut holes in the front plate for bolts and wire to feed through. Clock (rotate the assembly) the winch to mount and feed from the front instead of the bottom. I would suggest cutting the frame horn bumper tabs off and either fabbing up a bolt on plate for each frame horn or just do as I did and weld it directly to the frame. I added gussets and multiple brackets from each side of the frame rails.

I just got done reading your response after typing mine. If you use the factory tow hook brackets weld a nice strong bead around the bracket where they're barely tack welded to the frame, I ripped my brackets off a couple years back and many others here have too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool, 1st gen tacos are narrower than the 2nd gen so that'll work in your favor. If it's 1/4" thick than you could do what I did to mine and just drill and cut holes in the front plate for bolts and wire to feed through. Clock (rotate the assembly) the winch to mount and feed from the front instead of the bottom. I would suggest cutting the frame horn bumper tabs off and either fabbing up a bolt on plate for each frame horn or just do as I did and weld it directly to the frame. I added gussets and multiple brackets from each side of the frame rails.

Your bumper build thread is about the only one besides clusterpups that comes to mind at the moment that is for an st. Definitely got a lot of ideas from your build and hopefully I can get it mounted over spring break which starts in a week. My cousin has all the tools, plasma cutter, welder, lift to help move around the bumper, and skill to help get er done

Back