• Register Today It's free!

New to Forum

pugulis

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Hi everyone. I joined up here many years ago because I was looking into getting an Explorer. I never did and ended up getting a Grand Cherokee. I love my ZJ, but at 305k miles she's started to show some age. So I've gone out an bought a 99' Explorer Sport with 140k. Not quite as comfy as the ZJ, but it doesn't leak oil and wobble it's way down the road. The only problems with the Explorer are, it needs a new quarter window (50 bucks), the overhead computer doesn't work, the handle that move the passenger seat forward is broken (but the one on the back works) and the column whiter seems a bit stiff. This is probably do to the fact that the needle is stuck all the way to the right (somethings probably come lose in the steering column). But aside from that she's in good shape. I only payed 1000 for her. Does this seem like a good price, as I said, I'm new. Anything I should look out for? Thanks guys.

Here's a pic

IMG_0001_zps962cc0ab.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome. all the problems you mentioned are minor and can be fixed at little-to-no cost if you're handy. i didn't see where you said what the mileage on the Ex is, but for $1000 you can't go too far wrong. the biggest concerns are the engine and transmission. if they're quiet and work properly, you got a great deal. i recently paid $1400 for my '97 Sport ($243k with rebuilt engine and trans) and so far it's been great. the two possible v6's can suffer from their own unique problems and the auto transmission in the v6's isn't the most robust. you'll find this forum is a great resource. pretty much any question you can have will be answered. here's a link to re the overhead console fix:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187953

109_0136.jpg

111_0122.jpg

Looks good. As Koda stated, those are common issues, and searching around you can find it all. Ball joints, blend door, thermostat housing, transfer case, valve body, fuel pump, etc. other areas to watch for. Welcome and I hope you like turning wrenches.

Only 140,000 miles.

Looks good. As Koda stated, those are common issues, and searching around you can find it all. Ball joints, blend door, thermostat housing, transfer case, valve body, fuel pump, etc. other areas to watch for. Welcome and I hope you like turning wrenches.

and don't forget the infamous front sway bar end links. they were broken on all 5 of my Gen II's. easy and inexpensive to replace.

True Koda I forgot that one!

Thanks for the info. About the only thing I don't like are the seats. They're worse than a Wrangler.

Back