2004 Sport Trac Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Trac Question

Launcher21

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Okay, so yesterday morning I got up walked outside and cranked up my truck, backed it out of the driveway and drove 10 miles for work. As I went to back into my parking place it immediately seemed as if it choked itself out? So I pull into another space park go in work my 8 hours and come back out and drive home no problems. So as Im sitting in the driveway I decide to put it in reverse again to see if what happened that morning was a fluke and it chokes its self out again?? so at 11 last night after the engine had cooled down I went out and cranked it and put it in reverse and it went in just fine... What would be causing it to choke out only after the engine has warmed up? It will go into reverse just fine if the engine is cold? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple possibilities I found while searching around:

1. Could be low on transmission fluid. This caused problems in a couple cases.

2. I saw one guy said the culprit was his IAC valve was dirty. Maybe clean that first.

Thanks I will check both of those. I just never seen anything like this before? Never even heard of it happening to anyone. I mean it would be different if it made the check engine light come on and throw me a code but the check engine light is off?

Yep, check those two things first. As far as the CL not being on, it doesn't always come on right away depending on symptoms and problems.

I'll go out on a limb here and call torque converteor the controls. Put a bottle of FORD LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE in it and see what happens.(Yes, rear end additive)
FrictionModifier002.jpg

I really hope that its not the Torque Converter, but I will be spending all weekend trying what ever I can to get it running back to normal. I just find it really strange that it ONLY does it after the motor is warm. No issues what so ever on a cold start?

If it's "choking down" in my terms then you mean it's like stalling out a straight drive by not depressing the clutch. Is that what it's like of is it just cutting off. Trying to get terminology sync'ed here.

Yes it is stalling out. but only in reverse I can put it in drive while the engine is warm and it does just fine!

Back