• Register Today It's free!

hatch swap wiring questions

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
I've put a '98 style hatch onto my '97 Mounty, the mechanicals and taillights are done, it's just the wiring differences now that are left to overcome.

I have a working wiper, but the CHMSL stays on if the round connector with the green wire is left connected.

I'm unsure if the rear defroster works, honestly I didn't think about it, and of course the license plate lights in the hatch don't light up, though my stock bumper license lights (still) do.

I'm not what I'd call good with vehicle wiring, unless it's with circuits and systems I've had prior experience with.

Here's a pic of the vehicle's square connector fastened to the '98 hatch connector and the obvious wire differences:
20160229_155052_zps4eipl1tr.jpg

Is it safe to repin the different wires to their corresponding same-color wires on the body side connector? I hate to just guess and have electrical problems afterward.:eek:

Here's a pic of the installed hatch but before I put the tails on. When I snagged the hatch from the JY, I had intended to get the matching bumper, but they were all beat up so I passed, as mine is perfect. I will probably just get a vanity plate and put on it..something that says "Powered by 5.0" or something similar. :D

20160229_140600_zpsqrrgdely.jpg

(sharp eyed Ford folks might recognize my 4000 SU tractor, and there's also a couple of Mustangs not in the picture. The Chevy truck was passed down from my grandfather, and currently is waiting for a transmission rebuild. The KIA is the wife's daily...it's....well, ok but it isn't a Ford/Merc! :D

Repinned the wires to their proper locations, things work as they should with the exception of the license plate lights on the hatch. I didn't have time to run new wires (yet).

The lock for the hatch is iffy...locks at times, others, not so well.

At least now I'm able to lock the hatch and glass, and my third brake light works.

It's a good day. :)

I went through all that when I swapped the hatch on my 97 sport with a latter one, had to pull the tag light wires from the bumper back up into the driver side pillar with some more wire added , ran it up above the headliner down through the rubber wiring boot , can't remember how I tied it in but I remember it looked factory when I was done so I probably used some sort of factory connection , it was a pain but a great upgrade

I'm likely going to have to get another lock "motor" for the hatch, and when I do, I'll most very likely add the wires for the license lights.

On a slightly related note, I'm also trying to find a "cool" vanity plate...something along the lines of "5.0 Power" or the like. I'd swap the bumper, but A, it's straight and was swapped on by the PO, and B, I can't find ANY '98+ bumpers that are worth taking off.

We'll see. :)

Back