Thinking Of Adding Fender Flares... few questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking Of Adding Fender Flares... few questions

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Hey all, I've been throwing this idea around for a few years now and I'm starting to get tired of mud and stones getting flung up at the side of my truck, so I think I want to add flares, plus I kind of like the look better I think. I've got a 96 XLT that didn't have factory flares and I'm running 32x11.50's that stick out of the wheel wells a little bit, so it really need some flares to look proper.

I see two styles of factory Ford flares and I'm guessing the smooth style is on 96-97 and maybe 98? And the more edgy style is on the 98-01's. Can someone confirm this? Also will both of these flares fit on my 96 or did the body change somehow where they won't fit right (running board area probably and maybe the fenders or 1/4's themselves)?

That being said I used to like the smooth flares more, but those seem to have larger rear flares with a smaller front, where as the newer style as I'll call them seem to be the opposite. Does anyone have a preference on one over the other? I'm starting to lean toward the newer style now just because it will better cover the front tires and not make the rear look as if the tires are sunk in too far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I learned about the flares when I bought my 99 Limited, and had to buy new fenders(rolled truck). I prefer the earlier flares, which are 95-98.

The 99-01 flares are the type with the thinner edge, I think the two styles are very close in width, from the fender.

The key factor though is the fenders used for each is different. The holes are in different locations for the two flare types. I made the mistake of buyer fenders that were for the 95-98 flares, so I had to drill new holes.

Be sure that you want to do that conversion, there are dozens of holes drilled in the fenders, quarter panels, the rear doors, and below the running boards, plus the rear hatch if you wanted to add the little matching trim at the bottom there.

There is also one other OEM flare, just a front flare on some XLT or base models. I bought two used pieces, plus the bottom short piece which mates with the step bar below the doors. I need those less wide flares for new 17" wheels which will stick out about 3/4" more than what I have now. I think those will add less than an inch of width, but they only require tiny screw holes along the fender edge. Be sure you need the wider flares, they will take a lot of time to install. Good luck,

Well my 96 has no holes at all so I could drill for either flare I decide on. The question is, are the fenders the same shape wise? I want to be sure once holes are drilled the flares sit flush.

I had my old 99 truck/body to make templates with for the holes. The holes are spaced about 4-5" apart. The holes for the 99-01 flares are just a little farther from the fender edge as I recall. I've got a couple of pictures somewhere showing some of the holes I drilled. I used my old 1993 truck to rebuild my 99, so the running board holes were the only ones I didn't have to drill.

You would do well to take a trip to a local JY and see the flares in person, plus seeing the holes behind the flares. I'd guess the holes are about 3/8" in size, creating a lot of metal fragments behind the holes to clean up.

A lot of the choice may come down to what you can find. I couldn't find the 95-98 style before I had to begin drilling holes. So I ended up using all of my 99 parts, besides two pieces on one quarter panel. They are made of tough plastic.

I had my old 99 truck/body to make templates with for the holes. The holes are spaced about 4-5" apart. The holes for the 99-01 flares are just a little farther from the fender edge as I recall. I've got a couple of pictures somewhere showing some of the holes I drilled. I used my old 1993 truck to rebuild my 99, so the running board holes were the only ones I didn't have to drill.

You would do well to take a trip to a local JY and see the flares in person, plus seeing the holes behind the flares. I'd guess the holes are about 3/8" in size, creating a lot of metal fragments behind the holes to clean up.

A lot of the choice may come down to what you can find. I couldn't find the 95-98 style before I had to begin drilling holes. So I ended up using all of my 99 parts, besides two pieces on one quarter panel. They are made of tough plastic.

So the physical sheet metal of the 95-98 is the same as 99-01 but holes are just in different spots? Isn't the rear gate different? Which would mean the 99-01 rear gate trim won't fit right?

I know that the holes on the front fenders are different between the types. I only dealt with both fenders, and copied the 99-01 holes onto my 93 rear body and doors. I think the hatch is the same along the bottom, they differ mostly along the tail light edges. The wiring is different in the hatches between the 95-97's and the 98-01's, if swapping a hatch is a thought.

I know that the holes on the front fenders are different between the types. I only dealt with both fenders, and copied the 99-01 holes onto my 93 rear body and doors. I think the hatch is the same along the bottom, they differ mostly along the tail light edges. The wiring is different in the hatches between the 95-97's and the 98-01's, if swapping a hatch is a thought.

Oh boy. Putting more ideas in my head haha. It would make it look newer with the new hatch. But then I lose the awesome gold glass the 96's got and that just looks so awesome with my tan on tan truck. Plus I kind of like the older style door, looks more rugged than the bubbly new one.

I thought about the flare conversion on my 99, but once I learned of the work, passed, I have flares on my 01, love the fact the tire gel I use doesn't go all over the paint too. As for the hatches, you would gain something by the dark tint, and that's the ability to have matching front window tint, I've got 20% everywhere but windshield, and it's flat out nice.

I thought about the flare conversion on my 99, but once I learned of the work, passed, I have flares on my 01, love the fact the tire gel I use doesn't go all over the paint too. As for the hatches, you would gain something by the dark tint, and that's the ability to have matching front window tint, I've got 20% everywhere but windshield, and it's flat out nice.

Well the gold mirrored tint all around on the 96 is pretty dark. I actually like it a lot, don't really have a desire to change it. I do miss my 99 though. Heated seats, superlift, 35s, flares, puddle lights. Yeah. Never should have sold that.

I personally would've kept that 99, the 5.0s are great if cared for. I guess on the tint that's where we differ, the front tint I want to match the rear tint, and the later tint is my only real option, unless you get windows out a car that had no tint, I've been told they were made.

I personally would've kept that 99, the 5.0s are great if cared for. I guess on the tint that's where we differ, the front tint I want to match the rear tint, and the later tint is my only real option, unless you get windows out a car that had no tint, I've been told they were made.
I can't tint front windows in my state. Zero. Not even 99%. And you will get pulled over for it. And yeah I unfortunately put a 306 in my 96 before I bought the 99. So it was keep the all original 160k mile 99 or keep the 145k mile 96 with a new engine, brakes and tires among other parts. Plus the 99 was worth more and I needed cash, not a lift and heated seats.

Well here it's supposedly 30%, nobody cares though, the tail light laws in this state are garbage nobody can really figure out either, nobody cares there either as long as they work mostly right. What state are you in? I wanna know so I don't move there when I get out of school and college and such. As for the 99, the butt warmers are a wonderful thing this time of year.

Well here it's supposedly 30%, nobody cares though, the tail light laws in this state are garbage nobody can really figure out either, nobody cares there either as long as they work mostly right. What state are you in? I wanna know so I don't move there when I get out of school and college and such. As for the 99, the butt warmers are a wonderful thing this time of year.
Jersey. Seat warmers are nice but my 96 has remote start which the 99 didn't so it's kind of a wash. I miss the 99 a lot and wish I found it before my 96 but that's not how it worked out. Oh well thus is life.

Now about those flares. Can anyone confirm the quarters are the same shape?

The quarter panel body is the same contour, that's for sure. My 99 flares are on my old 93 body.

Projectthread106.JPG

I was able to save and reuse the flares from the 99 Limited. I only had to replace a couple of the trim pieces, the two corner pieces next to the hatch. I left off the hatch piece because it would have meant drilling more holes and I thought it'd be fine without it.

IMG_2727_zpsfjjakoqz.jpg
IMG_2726_zpsbz6kp7mh.jpg
Here is my 2000 XLT with 32's on 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspace and factory fender flares for a visual reference. I love the fit of the wheel and tire setup and the flare is about flush with the tires. I've had no issues yet and I love it. Hope this helps!

Here is my 2000 XLT with 32's on 15x8 wheels with 3.75" backspace and factory fender flares for a visual reference. I love the fit of the wheel and tire setup and the flare is about flush with the tires. I've had no issues yet and I love it. Hope this helps!

Just wondering How much of a lift do you have on your truck. I really like the stance and how it looks. I told my daughter that we are gonna get her a lift and maybe 32's on her Ex. She has a 96.

Looks awesome.

Just wondering How much of a lift do you have on your truck. I really like the stance and how it looks. I told my daughter that we are gonna get her a lift and maybe 32's on her Ex. She has a 96.

Looks awesome.

Thank you!, ive actually just got the Warrior #153 shackles in the rear and the TT up front to level it out. I went with the Rancho 5000 series shocks in the front made to accommodate a 2" lift over stock and a set of Monroe Sensatrac HD shocks in the rear with the added helper coils wrapping around them. The leaf springs are all stock. I also did a front sway bar delete to help with front end travel and smooth out the ride. The truck rides great and is still very stable on the roads with the "added track width" as long as you don't initiate your steering input too quickly. I like how it feels without the front sway bar "more oversteer tendencies" but i would probably leave it on since your daughter would be driving until she gets more experienced, and only remove or disconnect when off roading. Any other questions I'll be happy to answer! Here is also the side view. Thanks!
IMG_2725_zpsjweu5q9r.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back