• Register Today It's free!

Reliable timing kit?

Aniulas

Reaction score
City, State
Kaunas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4.0 Explorer Limited
Looking for suggestions buying a timing chain + tensioner kit for my 2000 4.0 SOHC engine. Don't mind paying more as long as it is reliable. Any companies you would recommend? Ideally from Europe, but would not mind too much shipping it in from the US as well. Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

By the way, the rattle seems to be coming from the front end, which would not require to take the engine out to replace, do you think replacing just the front part is a good idea or is it better to change it all just for the sake of it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Change them all if you can
And use ford or cloys parts

Imo

Could you tell me where to get OEM Ford parts? Can't seem to find the timing kit on the Ford online store

Seriously, use Ford timing components. Last July I did all timing parts & used Cloyes. About 6 months later I'd got a tick tick tick at front of engine. I was allover the truck like a rash, the noise hard to pinpoint as it seemed to be underneath, on the top etc etc.

I took the engine out this March again, to fix cradle oil leak and look for tick from timing parts. Oil leak was caused by gasket comming apart at rear where it went over crankshaft. Replaced gaskets and seals with Felpro.

The tick was caused by primary chain tensioner running chain slightlyoff centre of plastic and touching it's steel support. I replaced everything with Ford timing parts. The Cloyes primary tensioner had 5 steel leaves, the Ford primary tensioner had 6 and the plastic was held in place more accurately, in the steel U in upper position.

My Sport Trac now runs super quiet, I've learned an expensive lesson by not using OEM parts, they are just made better.

Mine has cloyes set is working flawlessly for 15 k miles now
in my remanufactured engine which I assume has cloyes by the look of them

Seriously, use Ford timing components. Last July I did all timing parts & used Cloyes. About 6 months later I'd got a tick tick tick at front of engine. I was allover the truck like a rash, the noise hard to pinpoint as it seemed to be underneath, on the top etc etc.

I took the engine out this March again, to fix cradle oil leak and look for tick from timing parts. Oil leak was caused by gasket comming apart at rear where it went over crankshaft. Replaced gaskets and seals with Felpro.

The tick was caused by primary chain tensioner running chain slightlyoff centre of plastic and touching it's steel support. I replaced everything with Ford timing parts. The Cloyes primary tensioner had 5 steel leaves, the Ford primary tensioner had 6 and the plastic was held in place more accurately, in the steel U in upper position.

My Sport Trac now runs super quiet, I've learned an expensive lesson by not using OEM parts, they are just made better.

Any idea if the SOHC requires two 4L2Z-6M290-AA timing chains? Asking because it has two of them listed in one of the amazon kits as OEM equivalents and I want to make up a full kit of OEM stuff. So, basically, is it two 4L2Z-6M290-AA chains, or is it:
4L2Z-6M290-AA
F77Z-6268-BC
F77Z-6268-AB
7U3Z-6A257-A

one of each of the above with a couple of guides and a couple of tensioners? Really appreciate your help guys, pardon an Explorer newbie

Edit: The current cart I'm looking at is:
4L2Z-6M290-AA
F77Z-6268-BC
F77Z-6268-AB
7U3Z-6A257-A
F77Z-6K297-BC
1L2Z-6L266-AA
YL2Z-6L266-AA
2L2Z-6K297-AA

Anything missing?

You will need torque to yield bolts for jackshaft and harmonic balancer pulley.
Screenshot_2019-05-13-01-01-28.png

Mine has cloyes set is working flawlessly for 15 k miles now
in my remanufactured engine which I assume has cloyes by the look of them
Cloyes timing set I used first time didn't fail, just had a tick after 1500 miles. I replaced crankshaft bearings, con rod bearing (used ARP con rod bolts), piston rings. At 68 I wasn't prepared to accept a noise that could come back to bite me in 3 or 4 years down the road, when I may be too long in the tooth to fix it.

The real bear was the oil leak and I replaced all gaskets and seals again after only 1500 miles. My ST now for me at least runs perfectly (touch wood) and I regularly use kick down taking it to 6000 plus rpm.

Like you I've a pre oiler which I always use on cold starts, I find this SOHC engine seems to enjoy being canned haha.

Cloyes timing set I used first time didn't fail, just had a tick after 1500 miles. I replaced crankshaft bearings, con rod bearing (used ARP con rod bolts), piston rings. At 68 I wasn't prepared to accept a noise that could come back to bite me in 3 or 4 years down the road, when I may be too long in the tooth to fix it.

The real bear was the oil leak and I replaced all gaskets and seals again after only 1500 miles. My ST now for me at least runs perfectly (touch wood) and I regularly use kick down taking it to 6000 plus rpm.

Like you I've a pre oiler which I always use on cold starts, I find this SOHC engine seems to enjoy being canned haha.
That why I installed a supercharger I sent you a link in a pm

The remain engine I bought from a reputable place. I just assumed. It is cloyes parts but the manufacturer tells me it's ford parts so I'm not sure

That why I installed a supercharger I sent you a link in a pm

The remain engine I bought from a reputable place. I just assumed. It is cloyes parts but the manufacturer tells me it's ford parts so I'm not sure
I did read that link, bravo to you, it's a great modification. I bet you surprise many boy racers!

Cause of my tick, plus plastic seems prematurely worn
Photo_3643.png

Back