• Register Today It's free!

G500 Ground?

Colin Teague

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
After making a post about my windows all spontaneously losing functionality, someone told me that its possible I have a bad ground. They then said that the ground id be looking for is labeled G500 in the wiring diagram. Does anyone know where I could find this? Thanks.

G500 is the ground for the master window switch panel in the driver's door.

See attached diagram.

Odds are you have a wire frayed in the driver's door hinge boot. They get weak from repeated opening and closing of the door.

It's also possible that the power lead to that switch panel is frayed, "LT BLU/BLK #19" on the diagram. With the key in accessory position you can use a multimeter to measure whether 12V is getting to that wire, and while your meter is out you can measure for continuity or resistance to ground between the black wire at the switch panel, and any chassis ground point.

If you had more functions not working (or if you didn't notice them yet), I'd check the accessory relay and fuse 4 in the under hood power distribution box, but odds are it's the wire in the hinge.

This assumes you did not switch on the master lockout switch on the driver's panel and that's the only thing wrong. ;)

Window Master Switch Wiring.JPG

Attachments

• power-windows-4-door-1-of-1.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 73

Back