Smoke Coming Radiator due to AC Compressor ; Serpentine Belt Break | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Smoke Coming Radiator due to AC Compressor ; Serpentine Belt Break

You’ll have to do the baster thing several times, as you are only getting the reservoir, and there’ll be old fluid filling the rack and hoses. Empty it and drive a little and empty again until the color improves. You can get more out at a time by pulling the lower ps hose, but that’s usually not something I mess with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does his truck use ps fluid or Mercon v

Pretty sure all second gens were Mercon V. My OHV and V8, were anyways. Maybe it changed in the later years.

*Edit, I mistakenly thought he had a second gen for some reason.

calls for “Mercon atf only”
357A2091-4045-4D22-9562-8FAE2E5B9BFD.jpeg

Both are fairly interchangeable, IMO. Lots of guys run power steering fluid in their second gens that call for Mercon V.

In this case, however, it might be calling for the Mercon/dextron fluid, since it doesn’t say the V Specifically.

Someone will correct me with the definitive answer soon, I’m sure.

My second gen calls for Mercon® multi purpose atf-xt-2-qdx

I've done the power steering flush by removing the return line to the reservoir and placing it into a bucket. You do want the front wheels off for this. Keep the reservoir full, turn the steering wheel left and right stop to stop, checking that the reservoir stays full. Repeat until the fluid comes clear. The turkey baster method is easier, but will take more fluid to flush completely.

If you do this procedure at the same time as rotating your tires or changing your tires, it should be pretty quick and easy.

@donalds
@Mbrooks420

Thanks Guys for the additional advice.... I will look to go back to pull the old PowerSteering Fulid out ( as it was dark and old) with Baster and add full synthetic power-steering fluid
and Change Hoses

Thanks I'll let you'll know

Because you have the Sport Trac, thank your lucky stars you don't have the rear heater lines. That "Y" is expensive and eventually leaks.

My second gen calls for Mercon® multi purpose atf-xt-2-qdx
Where are you getting the current spec? The manual for 99 (and 98) both call for the generic “mercon” spec.

Capture,,,,.PNG
Where are you getting the current spec? The manual for 99 (and 98) both call for the generic “mercon” spec.
ford cd

idk why the manual screenshot is blurry

I've done the power steering flush by removing the return line to the reservoir and placing it into a bucket. You do want the front wheels off for this. Keep the reservoir full, turn the steering wheel left and right stop to stop, checking that the reservoir stays full. Repeat until the fluid comes clear. The turkey baster method is easier, but will take more fluid to flush completely.

If you do this procedure at the same time as rotating your tires or changing your tires, it should be pretty quick and easy.

@Larryjb

" You do want the front wheels off for this. "

Did you mean want the Wheels off the Ground ? and Do I have to the Wheels off ?
May I ask why I have to take the wheels off ? I will do the process of pulling fluid from reservoir with Baster and Repeat until Clear with Mercon ATF

Thanks Again to everyone

@Larryjb

" You do want the front wheels off for this. "

Did you mean want the Wheels off the Ground ? and Do I have to the Wheels off ?
May I ask why I have to take the wheels off ? I will do the process of pulling fluid from reservoir with Baster and Repeat until Clear with Mercon ATF

Thanks Again to everyone

Just raise the front wheels off the ground. Sorry about the ambiguity.

This puts less strain on the pump and tires.

You don't need to do this with the baster method. However, it does require a few rounds of this over quite a few days to get it flushed fully. If you flush through the return hose you will be completely flushed in an hour or less. (Depends on how quick you are raising the front end, finding and disconnecting the return hose, and putting it back together in the end. I prefer this method. More thorough in less time overall.

Back