• Register Today It's free!

2020 Hybrid Hypermiling tips?

RJT895

Reaction score
City, State
CHINO VALLEY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 hybrid totaled may
I've been driving hybrids for a while. We got an Escape hybrid, then I leased a Fusion Ti Hybrid (not Energi) model for 3 years, and now I have the 2020. I've been trying to hypermile it but day to day I only see about 10% of my miles are electric, where I was regularly over 40% in the Fusion over the same route to and from work.

I did notice if I barely lifted off the throttle the Fusion would go electric but I have to get fully off and start slowing down before the Explorer shifts modes. I normally run in Eco mode..

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, walk to a Toyota dealer and buy a Highlander hybrid....

the system in the Explorer isn’t designed to do what you want it to do...it’s focus is performance, hence why the mpgs are about the same as the 2.3T....it’s a pity honestly, we want efficient hybrids not what Ford delivered.

On a road trip to Yellowstone this summer I saw >400 mile range with 208 miles on the tank so I'm pretty happy with the system as-is.

I routinely got 30mpg driving our Escape hybrid where my wife would only see 26-28 so one of us has a lighter foot :). Going from ~40mpg in the Fusion to ~25mpg in a much larger vehicle isn't shabby.

It may also be how things are reported, the Fusion tracked electric miles to the tenth mile, the Explorer is integer miles.

20200622_165424.jpg

On a road trip to Yellowstone this summer I saw >400 mile range with 208 miles on the tank so I'm pretty happy with the system as-is.

I routinely got 30mpg driving our Escape hybrid where my wife would only see 26-28 so one of us has a lighter foot :). Going from ~40mpg in the Fusion to ~25mpg in a much larger vehicle isn't shabby.

It may also be how things are reported, the Fusion tracked electric miles to the tenth mile, the Explorer is integer miles.

View attachment 325008

Wow, your Hybrid give a lot of miles per gallon compared to my ST.

If I recall correctly that tank was 0% Ethanol....

View attachment 325008

If I recall correctly that tank was 0% Ethanol....
You have a mile gobbler, congratulations.
That was once..... I've hit 500m total range a few times with mostly highway miles but normally run with about 400m total range for in-town commuting.

I guess paying attention a bit more makes a difference, where I was getting ~10% electric mileage I've gotten my electric miles up to 40% of the trip total. I'm now a bit more aggressive in lifting off the throttle to encourage engine shutoff.

Back