2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT 4WD 4.0 V6 started out with 900.00 purchase | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 FORD EXPLORER SPORT 4WD 4.0 V6 started out with 900.00 purchase

dspsdon

Reaction score
City, State
vail az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport 2dr
I started out with a very clean one owner non smoker no kids Explorer Sport. It had a freeze plug pop out at 70 mph. That was three years ago and 4-5 thousand $$. It is fun to drive and 4wd works good. I am a long time Ford owner. It is mostly stock. Real dual exhaust and a K&N air filter kit. Since I retired from the SP/UP RR afer 37 years as conductor15 Engineer 22 years. I have a process serving company so I drive a lot. It's frustrating dealing with the 20 year old plastic pieces. It is nice not having a car payment. Latest project was putting a double layer of aluminum insulation under my new carpet. I also removed the center console so that I could mount my Ham Radios under the dash. It is a lot quieter with extra insulation.My next project will be cutting an access door for the fuel pump. Don Stiver dspsdon@gmail.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. These days one month's payment on a new Explorer will pay for a lot of work on your 2002 Sport. The 1989 Mustang listed in my signature is the last car I bought on credit. After this I took my father's advice to let others take the depreciation hit for buying new vehicles and paid cash for used vehicles ever since. I haven't missed car payments at all.

Welcome. These days one month's payment on a new Explorer will pay for a lot of work on your 2002 Sport. The 1989 Mustang listed in my signature is the last car I bought on credit. After this I took my father's advice to let others take the depreciation hit for buying new vehicles and paid cash for used vehicles ever since. I haven't missed car payments at all.
I am experiencing a common problem but I will talk about it anyway. Being retired my income is not what it used to be and medical issues wife and myself cause me to cut corners. I will get to the point!! DO NOT BUY LIFETIME FUEL PUMPS FROM ORIELY AND AUTOZONE!!! I purchased the best aftermarket fuel pump from Oriely Auto parts in April 2019. I replaced the third pump yesterday. The Motorcraft pump is twice the price. Well worth the money. The original pump lasted 18 years 180000 miles. I am going to put a door in the floor to have access to fuel pump without removing the gas tank. Don

I am experiencing a common problem but I will talk about it anyway. Being retired my income is not what it used to be and medical issues wife and myself cause me to cut corners. I will get to the point!! DO NOT BUY LIFETIME FUEL PUMPS FROM ORIELY AND AUTOZONE!!! I purchased the best aftermarket fuel pump from Oriely Auto parts in April 2019. I replaced the third pump yesterday. The Motorcraft pump is twice the price. Well worth the money. The original pump lasted 18 years 180000 miles. I am going to put a door in the floor to have access to fuel pump without removing the gas tank. Don
I think everyone that goes into retirement has to cut corners to some extent. I hope your, and your wife's, health improves.

I have seen a lot of posts here about non OEM fuel pumps, alternators etc. failing. This site has saved me thousands and thousands of dollars over the years regarding diagnosing problems and how to fix them in the most economical manner.

Welcome Don.

Back