1997 SOHC Purge Valve Solenoid location and identification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 SOHC Purge Valve Solenoid location and identification

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I've seen several posts on here related to the purge valve solenoid. Over the weekend while the price of gasoline was the lowest that I have seen in 2-3 months we filled up our 2 drivers, full. Mine held 15.15 gallons and the white '97 held 16.65. I didn't know that these tanks were bigger than 16 gallons.
Ever since I have got it running I've always had a gas smell surrounding the white one. It seems that it may be a Canister Purge Valve Solenoid. Earlier my Wife arrived at work and called me telling me she smelled a very strong gas smell all of the way to work. I had her look under the left rear and didn't see any dripping. I don't know if it because of the fill up or the fact that after she was in the Hospital 2 days she quit smoking cigarettes (I hope). Her nose has been extra sensitive all weekend.
Here is a picture from ROCKAUTO.
PVS97EX.jpg

Also here is a link to the part, this may or may not work right.
Purge Valve Solenoid
Should I be able to swap one from my '97 MM parts vehicle for diagnostic purposes before I purchase a new one? and is this the one on the drivers side under the battery? Do I work from the top side of bottom? Thanks in advance guys for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen several posts on here related to the purge valve solenoid. Over the weekend while the price of gasoline was the lowest that I have seen in 2-3 months we filled up our 2 drivers, full. Mine held 15.15 gallons and the white '97 held 16.65. I didn't know that these tanks were bigger than 16 gallons.
Ever since I have got it running I've always had a gas smell surrounding the white one. It seems that it may be a Canister Purge Valve Solenoid. Earlier my Wife arrived at work and called me telling me she smelled a very strong gas smell all of the way to work. I had her look under the left rear and didn't see any dripping. I don't know if it because of the fill up or the fact that after she was in the Hospital 2 days she quit smoking cigarettes (I hope). Her nose has been extra sensitive all weekend.
Here is a picture from ROCKAUTO.
View attachment 342031
Also here is a link to the part, this may or may not work right.
Purge Valve Solenoid
Should I be able to swap one from my '97 MM parts vehicle for diagnostic purposes before I purchase a new one? and is this the one on the drivers side under the battery? Do I work from the top side of bottom? Thanks in advance guys for any help.

You need too take look first, before doing anything. I had a gas leaking from the quick disconnect connection by the master cylinder. It rusted out. I also had the vapor return line rust out in multiple place the gas smell travel back to the driver side rear of the car. Some Ford's the filler pipe rust out.

It has been a while but that doesn't look like the one under the battery.

Also as I said it's been a while, but IIRC access is good from underneath, but I am certain I did at first remove the battery tray.
I was trying to remediate an emissions code. I did disassemble the piece under the battery, it has a larger diameter (for a diaphragm), and is simple mechanism, solenoid, diaphragm, and spring.

@Pete Deering I've looked many times and I don't have any leaks.
@drdoom Does it look like this?
CP533_Front__ra_p.jpg

That looks like the vapor canister purge valve under the battery tray
Remove the battery its rite there
1630507023734.png

This is the vent solenoid above the spare tire
1630507228399.png

@donalds Thanks! That is the area (the front left) that the smell is coming from. I'll look on my '97 MM after I finish the accumulator/dryer install and pull a vacuum on this 1970 Mustang that is currently on the rack.

Back