2017 explorer low beam fuse location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer low beam fuse location

Garrick D

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Clair Shores
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer platinum
I have a 2017 explorer platinum. Two days ago the left low beam headlight went out but the right still works. I was wondering where the fuse was located for the headlight since in the owners manual doesn't say? are there fuses for the headlights or are they ran off something else? The led lighting around the headlight also isn't working. The high beams also work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Garrick.:wave:
Good question. Not sure if they run through a relay or not. I also don't recall this issue coming up before. It appears whatever the issue is it is affecting the low beam and signature lighting. Are you still under warranty?

Peter

Unfortunately, no.

Unfortunately, no.
Did you get any resolution to this? Im having the same issue. Passenger side, LOW LED and DRL are out, but have high beam and turn signal.

Did you get any resolution to this? Im having the same issue. Passenger side, LOW LED and DRL are out, but have high beam and turn signal.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the LED low beam is out the DRL will also not work since it is on the low beam. Have you checked the wiring to ensure there is power where it plugs into the headlamp? If there is power at the connector then I would guess the problem is with the headlamp,
BTW, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since July 1, 2019.

Peter

If the LED low beam is out the DRL will also not work since it is on the low beam. Have you checked the wiring to ensure there is power where it plugs into the headlamp? If there is power at the connector then I would guess the problem is with the headlamp,
BTW, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since July 1, 2019.

Peter
Just joined and want to get in on this discussion. 2017 Sport. Accidently (not thinking) got water in the left headlight housing while pressure washing the engine compartment. Had not replaced the rubber plug after swapping out the high beams for a bit brighter bulb. Now the left DRL/Low beam and signature lighting is not working, the the right DRL/Sig lighting stays on any time the engine is running, and 10 minutes after closing a door or shutting the engine off (seems battery saver is taking over given the light delay timer has no effect) Im getting 3 error codes....basically lost communication for left and right ballasts and power supply shorted to ground. Looking for any insight on where to begin actually troubleshooting and fixing this self-inflicted issue.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, I don't think I can be of much assistance here. It seems that with the 2016 refresh, there are no longer any listings for fuses for the headlights or any exterior lights. I don't know if they are all controlled through a module now or not. I suppose you could try swapping the 2 modules to see what, if any, effect that might have. As for the Battery Saver feature taking over, I believe you are correct. It will turn OFF all lights except the parking lights after 10 minutes.

Peter

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, I don't think I can be of much assistance here. It seems that with the 2016 refresh, there are no longer any listings for fuses for the headlights or any exterior lights. I don't know if they are all controlled through a module now or not. I suppose you could try swapping the 2 modules to see what, if any, effect that might have. As for the Battery Saver feature taking over, I believe you are correct. It will turn OFF all lights except the parking lights after 10 minutes.

Peter
Thanks....wish I could get 2 modules to try, but they are a bit pricey....as you stated there are no true "headlight" fuses, but there are 2 fuses for the BCM, which appears to control the headlight assembly (at least the LEDs) They are OK. 48 and 50 in the underhood fuse box.
f3-png.png

Have several similar issues with the LED DRL and signature lighting....you can see the new post I started regarding the issue....it starts with "Self-inflicted LED issues"....please check it out.

Just joined and want to get in on this discussion. 2017 Sport. Accidently (not thinking) got water in the left headlight housing while pressure washing the engine compartment. Had not replaced the rubber plug after swapping out the high beams for a bit brighter bulb. Now the left DRL/Low beam and signature lighting is not working, the the right DRL/Sig lighting stays on any time the engine is running, and 10 minutes after closing a door or shutting the engine off (seems battery saver is taking over given the light delay timer has no effect) Im getting 3 error codes....basically lost communication for left and right ballasts and power supply shorted to ground. Looking for any insight on where to begin actually troubleshooting and fixing this self-inflicted issue.
Strangely, I have pretty much the same situation. But there was a deer and a big puddle. Anyhow, it definitely got wet inside the headlight and shorted something out. I just ordered a whole new headlight since you can't just replace the LED. Same with the other side staying on for the full 10 minutes. Were you ever able to get it resolved? Would replacing the whole head light even work. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

I have a 2017 explorer platinum. Two days ago the left low beam headlight went out but the right still works. I was wondering where the fuse was located for the headlight since in the owners manual doesn't say? are there fuses for the headlights or are they ran off something else? The led lighting around the headlight also isn't working. The high beams also work.
I have the same issue but know the cause....I got water in the left housing and likely shorted out the LED ballast. I have purchased a new one from an online Ford parts discounter for 175....half what the dealer will charge. There is no actual fuse for the low beam LED's....they are controlled by the body control module which has 2 50 amp fuses, both are good in my case. If you run an error scan, you will likely get a communications error with the left led control module (ballast) Does you right work normally ? Mine is on all the time regardless of the position of the headlight switch and stays on for 10 minutes after shutdown until the battery saver kicks in, so I may have to replace that ballast as well. The pain is the front bumper has to be removed to remove the headlight to replace the ballast. Please keep my posted on your situation

Strangely, I have pretty much the same situation. But there was a deer and a big puddle. Anyhow, it definitely got wet inside the headlight and shorted something out. I just ordered a whole new headlight since you can't just replace the LED. Same with the other side staying on for the full 10 minutes. Were you ever able to get it resolved? Would replacing the whole head light even work. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
It is unlikely the LEDs in the headlight are the issue.....they are very moisture resistant. Does the assembly you ordered come with the ballast ? If it does, that may fix the issue, but cost far more than just the ballast.....Hopefully you can return the assembly and try the ballast first. The Ballast is most likely the issue and Im betting you will get these messages if you run a code scan. I having the new ballast installed in a couple of weeks and will know what works. Interesting you are having the same issue with the right.....wonder if the left issue affects the behavior of the right even if the right ballast is not bad. I get error codes for both. Let's definitely stay in touch. BTW....was the dust/moisture cap in place on the rear of the headlight assembly....I had removed mine and failed to replace.

bc2.png ballast correct.png bc1.png

Attachments

• bc2.png
    bc2.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 211
  • ballast correct.png
    ballast correct.png
    217.3 KB · Views: 213

I have the same issue but know the cause....I got water in the left housing and likely shorted out the LED ballast. I have purchased a new one from an online Ford parts discounter for 175....half what the dealer will charge. There is no actual fuse for the low beam LED's....they are controlled by the body control module which has 2 50 amp fuses, both are good in my case. If you run an error scan, you will likely get a communications error with the left led control module (ballast) Does you right work normally ? Mine is on all the time regardless of the position of the headlight switch and stays on for 10 minutes after shutdown until the battery saver kicks in, so I may have to replace that ballast as well. The pain is the front bumper has to be removed to remove the headlight to replace the ballast. Please keep my posted on your situation
$175 + $50 core charge and Yes, the other member has the same issue with the other headlight staying ON for 10 minutes. ;)
As far as replacing that ballast as well, why not wait until the current issue is resolved to see if that also might fix the other headlight staying ON?

Peter

Peter

$175 + $50 core charge and Yes, the other member has the same issue with the other headlight staying ON for 10 minutes. ;)
As far as replacing that ballast as well, why not wait until the current issue is resolved to see if that also might fix the other headlight staying ON?

Peter
Agreed......however, given the labor involved in simply accessing the ballasts, I do want to have one on hand given I getting error code for both left and right. Will check with Waldorf Ford to assure I can return the second ballast unopened the in the event it is not needed.

It is unlikely the LEDs in the headlight are the issue.....they are very moisture resistant. Does the assembly you ordered come with the ballast ? If it does, that may fix the issue, but cost far more than just the ballast.....Hopefully you can return the assembly and try the ballast first. The Ballast is most likely the issue and Im betting you will get these messages if you run a code scan. I having the new ballast installed in a couple of weeks and will know what works. Interesting you are having the same issue with the right.....wonder if the left issue affects the behavior of the right even if the right ballast is not bad. I get error codes for both. Let's definitely stay in touch. BTW....was the dust/moisture cap in place on the rear of the headlight assembly....I had removed mine and failed to replace.

View attachment 423642 View attachment 423643 View attachment 423644
It appears the new ballast has to me initialized as well.

REFER to: Ballast (417-01 Exterior Lighting, Removal and Installation).
Using the VCM and IDS software, connect the diagnostic scan tool and execute the “ LED Lamp Driver Module Initialization” routine. Follow the diagnostic scan tool directions. CLEAR the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and REPEAT the self-test. TEST the system for normal operation. If the low beam is still inoperative, INSTALL a new headlamp assembly."

It appears the new ballast has to me initialized as well.

REFER to: Ballast (417-01 Exterior Lighting, Removal and Installation).
Using the VCM and IDS software, connect the diagnostic scan tool and execute the “ LED Lamp Driver Module Initialization” routine. Follow the diagnostic scan tool directions. CLEAR the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and REPEAT the self-test. TEST the system for normal operation. If the low beam is still inoperative, INSTALL a new headlamp assembly."
Thank you guys so much for all the input! I never activated the SYNC software and am having to do all that to run the error code diagnostic. I will keep you posted when I do and what the codes are. I think at this point, I am going to go ahead and replace the whole headlight since it is cracked (the deer part of the story). Is the control module and ballast totally separate from the headlight that I may have to replace as well? I guess I will know once I get the bumper off, which I apparently am going to have to do either way.

Thank you guys so much for all the input! I never activated the SYNC software and am having to do all that to run the error code diagnostic. I will keep you posted when I do and what the codes are. I think at this point, I am going to go ahead and replace the whole headlight since it is cracked (the deer part of the story). Is the control module and ballast totally separate from the headlight that I may have to replace as well? I guess I will know once I get the bumper off, which I apparently am going to have to do either way.
Are you talking about Forescan or SYNC.....SYNC doesn't do any diagnostics. The screen shots I sent are from Forscan. Yep...bumper needs to come off no matter what. Some headlight assemblies come with the control module/Ballast, some (most) dont. Depends on where you purchased what and what the listing said. It is most likely the ballast that is the issue, given the moisture intrusion, so you will probably need a new one....you could transfer the one from your broken headlight, but IMHO the issue will follow the ballast. Ford shows the module (13) as separate from the headlight and sells the parts as such.

mod.png

Moral of the story is, never pressure wash your engine bay :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moral of the story is, never pressure wash your engine bay :salute:
Thanks for the retrospective assessment. Quite helpful in troubleshooting my issue and that of the other owner whose problem was not, like mine, self-inflicted. ☹️

Back