Water pump experiences

07EddyB

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
So it's time to replace the radiator again on my 07 4.6. I replaced it a little over four years ago and it started leaking again after about 2 years. It wasn't hitting the ground so I just put it off - but now it's hitting the ground so back in I go.
The question is - since I'm basically draining the coolant system would this be a good time to replace the water pump while I'm in there? It might seem to be a no brainer but I subscribe to the theory that you can always make things worse.
To those that have replaced a water pump - how long did the OEM last? I'm at about 130K now and I don't consider that certain death for a pump these days but would like some feedback on the OEM longevity. Not sure I want to spring for an OEM pump - and who even knows for a 2007 if that's comparable to the pump that came with it then. A generic parts store pump could give out faster than the remaining life in my old one.
I will say that when I replaced the radiator the first time that the coolant didn't look that bad - even after about 97K miles and I've owned it since 2008 and it only had 17K on it when I bought it so I know the history.
I'm leaning toward not replacing it simply because there is no guarantee that it will put me ahead in any way.
Thoughts?

When my radiator was replaced two years ago I opted to replace the water pump too while the radiator was out. I will do this sometimes when one repair makes another repair much easier to do. I also look at the part cost to labor cost ratio to do the repair on its own. Water pumps aren't super expensive so I just did a pre-emptive replacement. The miles was around 110k at the time. I did the same recently when replacing the rear brakes/rotors in regard to the parking brakes. While I was in there I decided to buy new parking brake hardware and shoes for $25 and replaced everything with OEM hardware. The last time the pan was off the transmission I had a drain plug installed for $60 to make the drain and refills easier when I don't need to install a new filter. Next week I am replacing heater hose assembly on the passenger side and will replace the manifold heat ($23 OEM part) shield that has seen better days along with the valve cover gasket ($15-$20 OEM part) on that side which has a very slight oil leak. So I don't think it is a bad idea to replace some parts as a preventative measure if those parts are inexpensive and/or the labor cost or time to DIY is excessive if that repair is done later. Especially on a vehicle that one plans to drive for a long time to come.

the OEM part always seems to be the best replacement option (original ford parts are really cheap relatively to other car manufacturers even here in Israel.)
Using OEM parts and working exactly per workshop manual means zero problem on the road.
Coolant should be replaced frequently and only ford grade should be used or the pump seals and coolant hoses (rubber hoses should be fully replaced every couple of years) will be deteriorated quickly.

That is the best theoretic practice.

Well I had a chance to look at it today and it's definitely the radiator. Here's just one spot at the top.
Radiator 2021.jpg

Back