97 5.0 AWD Explorer engine oil cooler leaks oil. Ford discontued part IM HAVING TROUBLE JUST TRYING YO POST HERE FOR HELP GHOS FORUM IS TOO MUCH RED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 AWD Explorer engine oil cooler leaks oil. Ford discontued part IM HAVING TROUBLE JUST TRYING YO POST HERE FOR HELP GHOS FORUM IS TOO MUCH RED

Yo mama

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 Explorer awd
97 5.0 AWD Explorer Oil cooler leaking oil in a steady stream. Ford discontued part and doesn't even have specs for it.

IMG_20220131_075617064~2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe most people delete the oil cooler. Later style 5.0s have a different oil filter mount, I believe.

You’ll need the later style lower rad hose as well.

I took one from a 99 that has no oil cooler setup. If you go acquire one get the bolt and block adapter just to have. To remove adapter use a socket that has the leading edge taper removed(lathe works great).

I want an angled one that a FL1A will thread on to

@Yo mama Are you looking for one to replace it with? I have one off of a '97. PM me....

the 98-01 explorer and mountaineer 5.0 had a different oil filter mount that deletes the 96-97.5 oil cooler (thank goodness!)
The oil cooler is a good place to mix water and oil when they get older and fail.
I stopped using them years ago
You will need the 98-01 style filter mount and mounting bolt to engine
You will need 98-01 lower radiator hose
You can access the oil filter bolt in the truck although it is a pita there is space to work from underneath and from the drivers wheel well

The 98-01 mount uses the motorcraft 820s filter

You could also install a remote oil filter kit and put the filter even further out, allowing you to run the beloved Motorcraft Fl1a filter and add ports for oil pressure, tempt etc. I like to mount the oil filter in the path of the cooling fan airflow whenever possible. Canton racing makes a nice billet oil filter puck that can rotate 360 degrees so you can point the hoses where you want them. I have this kit on my BII and love it. With high quality oil hoses and fittings the oil filter is mounted in front of the drivers tire

We might be able to find these parts on ebay, local u pull it yard, local private party, etc

Back