• Register Today It's free!

An animal gave me a present

padjoe

Reaction score
City, State
detroit
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016,Explorer xlt
Since its warming up, I've already seen a couple of cars on the highway with possible overheating issues.
so its always a good idea to check the coolant,
today i found a surprise when looking under the hood
20220519_131808.jpg
20220519_131900.jpg
20220519_131905.jpg

and upon driving I have no AC.
looks like my fans are not running and that chewed wire in the pic looks fun.
I have to wait for it too cool down before i look deeper but my coolant res fluid is higher than I've ever noticed.
out of interest anyone know off hand what the wiring in the pic is for?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was likely caused by mice. I don't really know what that wiring is for but since your A/C isn't working, I'm guessing it may have to do with the A/C compressor. If the bare wires touched each other chances are you also have a blown fuse. Good luck and please report back. Thanks.

Peter

Better images
Fuses visually look good I'm testing them now. no codes on standard old so that's hopefully good news.
There's relays for the fans, anybody know of a test for the relays of if they could be the issue?

20220519_150549.jpg Lumii_20220519_151155388.jpg

well the sensor that the chewed wires are on is the intake manifold pressure sensor, since i found no codes im assuming its good just a little beat up.
fuses tested good so time for head scratching

well the sensor that the chewed wires are on is the intake manifold pressure sensor, since i found no codes im assuming its good just a little beat up.
fuses tested good so time for head scratching
before they get worse wrap em with electrical tape... or better yet, honda makes habanero tape (yum yum!!) should make the mice learn...

yeah taped them up and will rewire it after I solve the ac issue.

if you wanna keep em away long term, though, that honda tape works i hear :D

so using forscan i was able to test and control elements of the ac system
pressures and temp seem good ac clutch kicks when told, i have no faults, but my fans are not running and i cannot control them on the system. i think the next step is to pull off the air filter housing and figure out a way to get 12v direct to the motors.

With the air box removed you can see two wire direct to the fan motor. I don't see any module or a third signal wire, so if I can unplug I should see if I get power to the motor.

20220520_144544.jpg

Well I was looking in the wrong place due to focusing on the animal damage.
Should have focused on just the ac problem
Found I had no 134 left in system. Fored on the manifold gauge and pressurized then sappy water on all pipes,nothing then I heard hissing from the driver rear wheel.Looked at the pipes there and found the green dye dripping from the gaskets.
Now I'll fix and charge the system and hope that the fans kick on.

Are you sure it is the gaskets and not the line itself? Many members have had rear A/C line leaks.

Peter

Won't know for sure until I pull it but bubbles from the nut

Lumii_20220522_212609393.jpg

little update as parts finally arrived

20220603_114252.jpg had to be gentle breaking the nuts.20220603_113639.jpg corrosion crust20220603_113234.jpg

Back