• Register Today It's free!

Side mirror turn signals?

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Is there a way to add side mirror turn signals onto a PIU? Mine doesn't have any, my Explorer XLT, does have the mirror signals and I would really would love to add them. I don't want anything ugly looking just something that looks like the Explorer mirror signals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a way to add side mirror turn signals onto a PIU? Mine doesn't have any, my Explorer XLT, does have the mirror signals and I would really would love to add them. I don't want anything ugly looking just something that looks like the Explorer mirror signals.
I would think that you'd have to replace the current ones with the proper signal-included ones. Then there is the question of wiring. Being it is a PIU, the wiring may not be there. Pricing seems to be about $490 each.

Peter

I would think that you'd have to replace the current ones with the proper signal-included ones. Then there is the question of wiring. Being it is a PIU, the wiring may not be there. Pricing seems to be about $490 each.

Peter
I would think that it does. It's just one wiring harness that goes to it on the one with the signals. It does have a power mirror harness, not sure if it has the turn signal part though.

I have been looking at used turn signal mirrors from the junkyard. I have not yet dug into the wire harness to see if they are plug and play.

I have been looking at used turn signal mirrors from the junkyard. I have not yet dug into the wire harness to see if they are plug and play.
If you get the chance, let me know if they are!

I know this is an older thread but the turn signal wire is NOT in the harness that goes to the mirror. You'll have to run a wire to make that work.

I know this is an older thread but the turn signal wire is NOT in the harness that goes to the mirror. You'll have to run a wire to make that work.
You have a 2017 PIU, the 2013-2015 has different wiring before the face-lift. So it may have it on the mirrors on the older ones.

You have a 2017 PIU, the 2013-2015 has different wiring before the face-lift. So it may have it on the mirrors on the older ones.
I don't have the wiring diagram for the 2016+ but looking at the wiring for the Police and then the XLT/Sport without Memory mirrors it looks like there is a signal wire that goes to a connector in each door, so wire from the mirror down to the connector at the door/kick panel looks like it would make them work assuming no other programming is involved.
In theory this should be a possible upgrade.
Doors each have a connector (C3139 Passenger side, C3138 Driver Side)

screenshot-2023-03-01-at-4.50.08-pm.png

Pinout for the Interceptor/Base for C3139(passenger) and C3138(driver)show pins for the Cornering lamp.

screenshot-2023-03-01-at-4.48.03-pm.png

Using the pinout for the mirrors you should be able to run the wiring from the door plugs up to the mirror (I think it's pin 3 oon the mirror connector) and the appropriate power to add the flasher and possibly puddle lamps, but those connect to the scuff plates and then to BCM, so may not be pre-wired.

screenshot-2023-03-01-at-4.50.33-pm.png

According to several posts I've read from members, the refresh of the 2016 Explorer resulted in many electrical wiring changes.

Peter

According to several posts I've read from members, the refresh of the 2016 Explorer resulted in many electrical wiring changes.

Peter
@peterk9 @firemedicjoe I know the 2016+ have different wiring, I've reviewed the wiring diagram for the 2016 and the C3139 and C3138 Connectors are in the same location in the lower kick panels and Pin 1 is still identified as "Crtrl Mod - Turn Lamp..." so I think this is still equally as possible as 2011-2015 w/o signal mirrors and the swap should be pretty much the same as long as the wires exist up to that point and there is no additional programming required.

If there is no existing wire in C3138/C3139 in pin 1, the wiring shows these pins would run to junction points in the dash/cowl and then return to the BCM Connector C2280F Pin 38 (Left) and Pin 39 (Right). If I had some mirrors, I'd give this a try but if anyone has the parts, hopefully, this information will help move your project along.

Back