4.0 SOHC good compression, but coolant in cylinders | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC good compression, but coolant in cylinders

Everyone I knew that had to buy their own 1st car didn't crash it or spin the tires bald cause they had to pay to replace them. I still have my 1st car.
What's really sad is the rich parents who buy their kids BMWs and Mercedes or the ones who buy them a hellcat or a corvette I think that is irresponsible on the parent's part because a new driver doesn't know how to handle that kind of power, the fastest car I have ever driven was a 2016 Z06 corvette and yes I played with it some but I didn't go out there tearing it up doing doughnuts or spinning the tires I was more interested in acceleration and the handling of the car because it wasn't mine it belonged to the car lot my dad works at and I wasn't going to tear up something that wasn't mine and even if it was mine I still wouldn't go out there tearing up the streets acting a fool but anyway the moral of the story is if you work for it and pay for it with your own money you will take care of it and respect it more than if someone buys it for you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

She’s beautiful!! Nice sport trac for sure

Technically my old 5.0 X was the kids first car. I kept it for him when I bought my F150, and spent a lot of time with him replacing cosmetics, hood, door handles, trunk and hood shocks, ect. It really shook him up when he rolled it, and honestly it broke his heart cause he had always wanted to fix it up. We had the old X since he was young so it had sentimental value. I really do hope he has learned his lesson, but I also know he’s still young and dumb. All it takes is someone revving next to you and the Fast and Furious comes out!
I may start looking for an old beater for him and drag out the repair to the Adrenalin. I mean I should be thorough and make sure the motor is sound before letting him drive it right? Pop the valve covers while I have the intake manifold off, check the timing cassettes and replace the water pump and fan. All that could take weeks or months! Lol
He does need a vehicle asap because he’s currently driving my truck and that scares me.

Or put a 5.0 in it :) get your truck back!
Ford should have built these with the pushrod v8, they didnt so I do

Or put a 5.0 in it :) get your truck back!
Ford should have built these with the pushrod v8, they didnt so I do
Now you're speaking my language. I agree, it needs a V8

Well let’s see how many sohc powered vehicles are outside …. Crickets
How many 5,0 , let’s say it’s more then 5 and none of them came with one from the factory ;)

Yes I speak it! Happy holidays!!

I mean I do love the 5.0 but how hard is that to do? I’ve swapped motor for motor a time or two but switching it up would require a whole rewire, pcm and all that right? Do you buy a truck and pirate the parts?

I’ve been doing 4.0 and 5.0
Conversions for about 25 years I specialize in these trucks. I can piece them together or work from a donor. I also put many of the builds online for you to see

In my signature you can see the 4 sport trac projects I tackled this summer on top of my regular work. My wife and I needed a new daily driver so I built a 03 trac v8 5 speed 4wd on small lift… it was a battle! But it was worth it.

The 96-01 explorer came with the v8
It is the same engine bay / dash as the 01-05 trac. So as far as later model efi obd2 conversions go, they do not get any easier then this

615FCC1F-195D-4911-93ED-F461642C5F9C.jpeg

302, m5od-r2, 4406m, comp cam, obx headers, custom true dual exhaust w side exit, 4.10 gears, 2” body lift w all new urethane mounts, two tone leather, moonroof and subwoofer. 244k miles on the odo now hahaha she’s clean! Paid $700 for this truck and $1100 for the donor

here is an 02 I did with a basic 5.0 and awd conversion. Take the v8 from the donor and stick it into the trax, this is as easy as they get. Of course there is wiring and some conversion stuff to do, have to put together exhaust and some drivelines otherwise it mostly bolts in

I mean I do love the 5.0 but how hard is that to do? I’ve swapped motor for motor a time or two but switching it up would require a whole rewire, pcm and all that right? Do you buy a truck and pirate the parts?
This swap has been done many times and 410 could answer any question you'd come up with.

That’s impressive 410 and I’d love to do that someday! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Ok so I finally got around to bolting it all back together and she’s running. I had to make a gasket for the tstat housing and that seems to be holding well, but there does seem to be a substantial leak around the water pump front seal where the fan is. The exhaust is smoking pretty bad and honestly I couldn’t tell if it was steam or not. The tailpipe was dripping but dried up after it warmed up. My sense of smell has been off ever since Covid lol so I honestly can’t tell what I’m smelling on that one.
After driving it down the backroads it drove great, stayed in normal temp range and almost completely stopped smoking until I drove it up on ramps to try and burp the air out of the coolant later. Then it started smoking pretty bad again. Shut it off and looked at the oil and it looks good still.
So I’m wondering if gas did get in the oil as someone mentioned above, could that be the culprit for all the smoke? I planned to change the oil and usually go with a little heavier high mileage oil, but if my rings are shot it would be a waste of good oil…
I also pulled one of the spark plugs and it was dry, so no evidence of moisture like before

Could the smoke be an oil leak? Can you post a video to YouTube and put the link here?

That’s impressive 410 and I’d love to do that someday! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Ok so I finally got around to bolting it all back together and she’s running. I had to make a gasket for the tstat housing and that seems to be holding well, but there does seem to be a substantial leak around the water pump front seal where the fan is. The exhaust is smoking pretty bad and honestly I couldn’t tell if it was steam or not. The tailpipe was dripping but dried up after it warmed up. My sense of smell has been off ever since Covid lol so I honestly can’t tell what I’m smelling on that one.
After driving it down the backroads it drove great, stayed in normal temp range and almost completely stopped smoking until I drove it up on ramps to try and burp the air out of the coolant later. Then it started smoking pretty bad again. Shut it off and looked at the oil and it looks good still.
So I’m wondering if gas did get in the oil as someone mentioned above, could that be the culprit for all the smoke? I planned to change the oil and usually go with a little heavier high mileage oil, but if my rings are shot it would be a waste of good oil…
I also pulled one of the spark plugs and it was dry, so no evidence of moisture like before
My 99 explorer with the 4.0 sohc has lots of steam when its cooler and humid outside and even water from the tailpipe that is normal

Byproduct of combustion is water
Water gets in your exhaust

Several short trips water will collect in your muffler(s)
A long drive at temp is what’s needed to burn all the water out
Too many short trips without ever actually getting the exhaust hot and your muffler can actually rust through at the lowest point… ask me how I know!

Leaking coolant around the snout of the waterpump usually means it’s time for a new waterpump

Costco has good Kirkland oil for cheap
Walmart has motorcraft semi synth for cheap
You can get good oil for cheap
It is more important that you change you oil then it is what brand of oil

Coolant in exhaust will feel “heavy” and kinda slimy on your hand.. “more than water” kinda feeling….
Covid sucks! My sense or smell and taste has never been the same

Back