Did anybody's timing chain ever break or come off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did anybody's timing chain ever break or come off?

02exploderguy

Reaction score
City, State
Blossburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0 5R55W
Has anybodies timing chain ever broke or come off while driving? Mine did friday the 16. It was -10 and i let it warm up for 15 mins. Temp gauge was climbing like normal. About 1/4 mile away from my house i lost all power, engine barely running and a timing chain rattle from HELL. I managed to get back home after getting a jumper pack and cranking for a while..... i figured the timing chain broke. The explorer never started again.

I got codes for cylinder 1,2,3 misfires. I removed the oil cap and looked in at the cam while somebody cranked engine. WOOT WOOT imagine it didn't turn. (rear timing chain) I borrowed the borescope from work and peered into the cylinders (via sparkplug holes der...) and saw a few shiny spots on the pistons.

the valves and the pistons became very good friends.

I got a used engine with approx 25k miles on it for 600. Thats next weekends project.

Oh BTW I'm new to this forum. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT 4.0, 5R55W Trans, black leather, sunroof, 6 disc cd. Going to be a certified ford tech may 16! Yeah i might be 19 but i know a decent amount when it comes to fords with OBDII. I'll pry be checking this a few times a day.

Tell me your story about when your timing chain broke/fell off/jumped time....just curios

mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! How many miles did it have when it failed? I didn't wait this long to replace the timing chains on my 88 & 89. I think I replaced the one on the 88 aroud 100k miles, and the 89 about 145k miles.

Welcome to this forum! How many miles did it have when it failed? I didn't wait this long to replace the timing chains on my 88 & 89. I think I replaced the one on the 88 aroud 100k miles, and the 89 about 145k miles when I heard a noise from them.

Welcome to this forum! How many miles did it have when it failed? I didn't wait this long to replace the timing chains on my 88 & 89. I think I replaced the one on the 88 aroud 100k miles, and the 89 about 145k miles when I heard a noise from them.

Hold it, hold it!!! I have to change that? oh no...mine has 121k!!!:(

Bought it with 79k miles and some timing chain rattle. That was February of last year. This happened around 99k miles.

Heres the TSB 4-15-4

FORD: 1999-2002 Explorer
2001-2002 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer Sport, Ranger
MERCURY: 1999-2002 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 02-08-01 to update part numbers and add a labor operation for vehicles with auxiliary air conditioning.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (single over-head cam) engine may exhibit a primary timing chain rattle noise. The noise is heard during hot and cold engine operation (but mainly heard on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 RPM. To verify concern, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000 and 3000 RPM and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the primary timing chain tensioner system.

ACTION:
Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The Kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Primary Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fasteners, Primary Timing Chain, and Front Cover Gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit and follow the instruction sheet supplied with the Kit.

Use Kit 2U3Z-6D256-CA (balance shaft engines) for:

1999-2001 4X4 Explorer/Mountaineer
2001-2002 4X4 Sport/Sport Trac
ALL 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA.
Use Kit P/N 2U3Z-6D256-DA (non balance shaft engines) for:

1999-2001 4X2 Explorer/Mountaineer
2001-2002 4X2 Sport/Sport Trac
2002 MY Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA
ALL 2001-2002 Ranger

I had a 2000 limited that the rear chain let loose on, and my 2002 rattles pretty good on a cold start up, it has 118,000 miles.

Timing Chain issue with my 2002

I have an 02 4.0 (SOHC) with 115k and took it to the local dealer when I had rough idle, and a knock/rattle coming from the rear of the motor. They said it is the rear timing chain and would replace both chains plus cassets, plugs, wires, valve covers (have one leaking) etc. for $2500.00. Other options given to me were.

1.)used motor for $2700 installed w/75k on it
2.)new motor for $5000 installed w/ 3 yr 100,000 mile warty.

Question: Are these costs within reason

I think my passenger side chain has finally let go at over 187,000 miles in a '97. Driving home as normal one night, and the car just shut off, and will not start again.

My 02 4.6 timing chain came adrift at 126000kms due to guide failure. got home on 4 cylinders.

i have gotten two new engines( not from timing chain rattles) just from knocking resulting from beatin on it lol. i got a 29k used engine at a junkyard w/120day warranty for $1300, then i got a 40k used engine at another junkyard w/1yr warranty for $1400. installed both of them myself. the first one i drove for a week and started knocking too. this one(40k mile one) seems to be running good and can take the beating. not too hard to install yourself.

I dont even want to think about this...
my 96 has 146 on it...No rattle or ticking though..

Why the he!! do these engines have piss poor engine life?!? seriously! the 1st gens never had this problem and jeep's AMC I6 4.0 will go well past 200k. Why did Ford screw up so bad?!? Seriously! Ford can build a Triton V10 that will go well past 300k but they cant build a V6 that will go well past 150K?

Is it piss poor engineering or just the nature of SOHC engines with the jack shaft, over head cams with 3 chains?

Just upsets me....

What is the great idea behind using a jack shaft anyway?!? Why doesn't the V8 have a jack shaft?!?

Because they was designed by different poeple :D.

I heard changing the timing chain and related parts was fun for the 4.0 SOHC. This was at the ford parts counter the guy was telling me.

i just replaced my 4.0 motor due to timing chain failure. just shut off at 78000. no noise or anything. i got a used motor with 12000 on it for 750.00.:D i used to work for ford. i called them on this but they were about as useful as my junk motor.:thumbdwn::thumbdwn: this motor was designed in cologne germany. these are the !@@##^%$ morons mercedes would never hire. i tried to take pics of the catastrophic mess but the camera wasnt working well or the light wasnt great. they should of atleast made it a non interference motor to save on damage. my old 94 xlt with 4.0 was still going strong well a little tired at 250,000 till i lost track of it in new york.

Back