• Register Today It's free!

Front end noise

jonjones80

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited Edition
Hey guys, been awhile since I posted. Having trouble's that I can't figure out. I have a rubbing noise in the front end that goes away when turning left. I have recently changed the driver side cv. Both wheel bearings and brake. All new upper and lower ball joints with new tie rod ends. I'm going to look under it tonight just wanted some suggestions on what to look for. Thanks in advance guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey! I'm suffering from the same....welcome to the club!!!
I have a 98 Explo 4x4 4.0 SOHC. It's like a humming noise, sometimes feels like a bump on the tire or a bad bearing.
Feels like coming from the driver's side.
I also changed new CV, tie rods ends, upper & lower BJ, new bearing hub, 4 new tires, and driver's side outer front differential bearing <--the one where the CV rest in.
I've read all the threads I've found on the internet and nobody gave with the cure. I was following a thread were the guy changed all the parts we also did and he was still with the noise, his last post said "I'm going to pull out the front differential and check it". Unfortunately it was his last post and the date said year 2007.
I suspect from the front diff bearings, other guy in a post said "If it's not the front differential, should be the transfer case".
At this time I'm looking for a front diff on local yunkyards to rebuild it myself with time and patience, will just change all the 4 bearings. But I didn't find one yet, it should be 3.55 gear ratio for me. And all I found are 96 and older which differs from mine 98. It believe it should be 97 to 01. Hope this help.

weird a wonder if you could have put on a bad hub or maybe not tightened it enough. Front Dshaft maybe?

I have a growl in my front end and it was a hub but a few months later it came back again. I have had the front diff inspected, both hubs changed, changed the dshaft and tcase and its still there... Ive had to live with it for a year now and the sound hasnt increased

I had the same problem and changed the hub, still had the noise got another hub and it fixed ot but now i have a weird squeak when i hit bumps and a pop when i turn left.

Hey guys, been awhile since I posted. Having trouble's that I can't figure out. I have a rubbing noise in the front end that goes away when turning left. I have recently changed the driver side cv. Both wheel bearings and brake. All new upper and lower ball joints with new tie rod ends. I'm going to look under it tonight just wanted some suggestions on what to look for. Thanks in advance guys.

Try checking the new CV you installed. Some of them have a dust boot on the ends where the shaft meets up with the hub and differential. I had one that kept giving me a rubbing/squeaking noise. Turned out the boot was rubbing but was inconsistent because there is a little in/out movement in the cv as you turn or flex the front end. I just pulled the CV and removed the boot then put it back together.

Back