• Register Today It's free!

Need some advice on tranny issue?

fury

Reaction score
City, State
austin,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer sport
Well i just came back from some mudding here in austin,tx and on the drive back home i noticed that my rpms were at 2000 while i was going about 50 mph. i know the rpms are suppose to be around 3000 so i am starting to worry a little. i started to pay attention to the transmission shifting and it seems to shift from 1st to 2nd but i cant tell if its going into 3rd or not. i floored it from a stop and the rpms climb to 2500 and then drop back to 2000.

does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem?
the truck seemed to drive just fine on the way back except for the rpms be so low.

i hope someone out there can help me out.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your RPM's are right where they should be. Relax. Don't borrow trouble. Your describing a perfectly fine trannie to me.

cool thanks alot. i guess i am just being paraniod about nothing.
once agian thanks for your help Glacier991. i really appreciate it.

Yehbut

Yehbut, I've noticed my rpm's getting lower as my (solenoid malfunctioning? Not sure yet...) deteriorates. For example, I now get 2000 rpm's at 70mph. And going up a hill or under a load I've noticed the rpm's dropping ridiculously low enough to cause engine bogging, while the tcc never unlocks and the tranny won't upshift. I think it has something to do with the tcc solenoid. I've also got the 2-3 shift flare problem. All arose after a couple of fluid changes. Any ideas here would surely be appreciated. I've got all the solenoids coming in a couple of days, just in case they need to be replaced while I'm in there. I hate wasting all that mercon V just to troubleshoot.

Back