• Register Today It's free!

How to tell transmission type?

jbburks

Reaction score
City, State
Collierville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I have a 2002 4dr Explorer XLS with the 6cyl engine. How do I tell what type automatic transmission I have?

The maintenance schedule that came with it lists several models of transmission that need a fluid change at 30k miles. The schedule also lists other transmission types that DON'T need a periodic change, but nothing I can find under the hood or elsewhere tells what type of transmission is in the vehicle.

The dealer is no help at all. They just say change the fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look on the drivers door tag for a code and post it.

I would bet its a 5R55E. Personally, I see no need to change the fluid until around 60K in anything, but thats me. Others will post their opinons as well.

You are right. Another ford dumb design (IMHO).....sounds like taking a pinto transmission and adding OD. Yep...thats the wonderful A4LD.

Yes, seems not so bright to me either.

Lets recall Explorer transmission history:

91-94 A4LD - A modified Pinto trans which has gained a rep for blowing out at relatively low mileage

95-96 4R55E - An improved, electronically controlled A4LD, not quite as fragile but still has problems

97-01 5R55E - Beefed up a little more, electronic control allows another forward gear from the previous design. As far as I know, they don't puke their guts nearly as quickly, but still not the strongest link in the powertrain.

02+ 5R55W (4doorsonly, Sport-Trac still uses 5R55E) Apparently, Ford is so confident in their track record that they decide to make the tranny non-serviceable. I guess we will know in a few years if they are justified. Personally, I like having a dipstick so I can at least examine the color of the fluid on the stick, if nothing else.

Doesn't the new trans also say not to change the fluid for 150,000 miles? Never seen fluid last that long. Ch**y has lifetime anti-freeze and fuel filters now too. Its getting worse everywhere.

I bet the dealers tell you to change the fluid every 30,000, but bring it to them. $$$$$$$$$$

if you have an a4ld can you bolt on a later model beefier tranny like a 4r55e or 5r55e? It is a 2WD automatic with OD
thanks,

physh

physh said:
if you have an a4ld can you bolt on a later model beefier tranny like a 4r55e or 5r55e? It is a 2WD automatic with OD
thanks,

physh

No, its not just a straight bolt in because the later models have electronically controlled shift solenoids; the A4LD does not. You would need to add the later model electronics or find an aftermarket controller for the 4R55E or 5R55E. This would take a lot of knowledge and research and money.

Some people have installed 700R4 trans (using a special adapter) in place of the A4LD. You could search on that to find more info.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142953&highlight=700R4

dogfriend said:
No, its not just a straight bolt in because the later models have electronically controlled shift solenoids; the A4LD does not. You would need to add the later model electronics or find an aftermarket controller for the 4R55E or 5R55E. This would take a lot of knowledge and research and money.

Some people have installed 700R4 trans (using a special adapter) in place of the A4LD. You could search on that to find more info.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142953&highlight=700R4

thank you dogfriend, I appreciate your help.

physh

The plate inside the driver's door says: TR:R.

The transmission has a dipstick for the fluid.

My manual is for 97 and doesn't list that code. For 97, the code for 5R55E was D.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 30,340

Which manual were those transmission codes from? The dealers are always telling you that the newer vehicles don't require as much maintenance, like the 100k mile platinum spark plugs. In another thread, I saw that Amsol oil could last for 25k miles. It might be true, but what if it is inside of an old engine that was never maintained? I'm sure that these things wouldn't last as long. As for the 5R55W transmission without the dipstick, I'm surprised that no aftermarket manufacturer ever made a dipstick upgrade that could be attached to it. I'm sure that something could be easily fabricated.

BrooklynBay said:
Which manual were those transmission codes from? .

Those codes are from the factory manual (CD version) for 1997.

It IS possible however, to take the stronger internal parts from the 5R55E and put them into the A4LD case and have the best of both worlds. On here known as a "Frankentranny" - thanks to the idea and thread posted by Brain (it is in the stickies). So far ... far as I know, only Brain and I have built or are building them.

Here is the information from that link:

Axle Codes
L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential
Code Ratio
41 3.27C
42 4.10C
43 3.08C
45 3.55C
46 3.73C
D1 3.27L
D2 4.10L
D4 3.73L
D5 3.55L

Transmission Codes
Code Model
D (1997-2005) A5LDE / 5R44/55E
D (1992-1996) M5OD-R1
J M5OD-R1
J (2002 - 2003) R1HD / M5OD-R4
M (2000-2001) Mazda M5D4
M (1997-1999) M5OD-R2
M (1992-1996) M5OD-R1
R (2002) 5R55W
T (1992-1995) A4LD
T (1996-2001) 4R55E
U 4R70W
V 5R55S
X 6R60

Fast way to tell the difference between a 5R55E and a 5R55W is to look and see if the bellhousing is part of the case or whether there is a joint where the bellhousing bolts on. The W uses a unitized case.

That is something I was wondering about for quite some time. On the A4LD, 4R55E, and 5R55E you could disassemble the transmission by disconnecting the bell housing. If the 5R55W is a unitized case, how do you disassemble it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glacier991 said:
Fast way to tell the difference between a 5R55E and a 5R55W is to look and see if the bellhousing is part of the case or whether there is a joint where the bellhousing bolts on. The W uses a unitized case.
Perhaps another way to tell, is the w has no dipstick, the E do's

Back