06 V6 air intakes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 V6 air intakes

Looking at the picture supplied, I can't help but wonder if any help comes from sucking hot air from under the hood. Aren't we trying to avoid that, but the kit doesn't look like it comes with any shielding for the filter to keep heat at bay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our testing has shown underhood air temperatures when driving down the road to be only a few degrees warmer than outside air. The underhood area is not a still air chamber and receives plenty of fresh airflow, so it should not be necessary to put restrictions on incoming air by placing shields or ducting in the system which would cause more restrictions.

Now, if you do quite a bit of low speed off-roading and slow crawling, it may indeed be a good idea to add some sort of shield or even consider keeping the stock system in place.

Thanks KKM, that answered my question perfectly. I will have to look into getting a CAI

Just got mine and installed it (thanks Warren). It seems to help, not nealy as loud as the CAI I had on my Escape. However, it does have a whistle, right now it is pretty cool (sounds like a turbo winding up), I will have to look into mod.-ing this, it might become annoying with time.

However, it does have a whistle, right now it is pretty cool (sounds like a turbo winding up), I will have to look into mod.-ing this, it might become annoying with time.
I can't say there have been more than 2-3 people on the newer integrated style airbox systems with a whistle noise. Asside from the obvious IAC valve issues that plagued older models, you might look into the areas of the crankcase vent line as a possible source for the noise.

I have the whistle too sounds like a turbo spooling up. Also my mechanic said hes seen water splash up into these type air intakes and get water in the motor, has this ever happened with the KKM?

I also have an idle between 1 and 1.5K which i thought was high could the intake also be causing this?

No noise but the intake noise, no whistle. No probs w/ water or something else.

I have the whistle too sounds like a turbo spooling up. Also my mechanic said hes seen water splash up into these type air intakes and get water in the motor, has this ever happened with the KKM?

I also have an idle between 1 and 1.5K which i thought was high could the intake also be causing this?

I would suggest checking the areas mentioned on any whistling noise.

As for water, we have zero reports of any water intake issues since our inception in "97, though even a stock airbox would take in water if you drove through something deep enough. Do you see signs of water spray around the filter area, or is this mechanic refering to air filters mounted under the front bumper of Honda Civics?

What was your idle before installing the intake? Perhaps it is time to clean the IAC valve with Gumout as they do get pretty crudded up with time.

Cant imagine the IAC needs to be cleaned. As for the whisle its the filter you can hear it when you stand next to it with the hood up. It has done this since the car was new and I put the KKM filter on it with 1,000 miles
Mechanic just said in general open air filters I was just asking

As for the whisle its the filter you can hear it when you stand next to it with the hood up.

The filter will not actually cause a whistle, though an open element filter will expose noises that were masked by the stock airbox. The whistling noise is usually found to emanate from air rushing over an open orifice such as a crankcase vent tube or partially open IAC port.

So, it's not the filter. So I should check to see if I have an air leak around the crankcase tube, or those goofy protrusions they have on the air intake tube (one looks like a j or upside down candy cane, and the other is almost rectangale in shape).

So, it's not the filter. So I should check to see if I have an air leak around the crnakcase tube, or thos goofy protrusions the have on the air intake tube (one looks like a j or upside down candy cane, and the other is almost rectangale in shape).

Not necessarily a leak. If you take a pop bottle and blow across the top at certain angles, it will make a whistling hum... and this is essentially what is happening inside the intake pipe.

oh great, how the hell do you fix that? Changing the angle of the part that protrudes into the intake tube with a file or dremel? I really love the kkm intake, but I am not a fan of the whistle.

You are on the right track. Start the engine and duplicate the condition that causes the noise, then begine to move, tug, and pull on various areas to isolate the noise. I resolved an issue on a particular Ranger one time by placing a ziptie around the crankcase vent tube and ever so slightly reduced the diameter and the noise went away. Just remember to use safe working practices and watch out for the fan or hot exhaust manifolds.:salute:

Thanks warren, I hope to get on this project Sunday, I will report findings and hopefully a fix that worked for me.

Update:
It rained all day sunday and I was unable to try anything, will update when i am able to make something work.

Back