• Register Today It's free!

Factory Stereo Replacement

60Pilot

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I have a question. I am currently deployed overseas with the Military, but will be returning home soon. When I get home I want to do some work on my factory Sport Trac.

I own a 2002 with the upgraded stereo package. I was thinking about replacing the in dash 6 disc CD Player with an aftermarket and was wondering what a aftermarket CD player looks like in the truck. Does anyone have any pictures they could share of their interiors? I was also looking to possibly replace the factory "subwoofer" behind the back seat. Anyone have any ideas?:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome!! Thanks for your service :salute: .

You might try the search function to see what it brings up, as there are and have been quite a few threads whose topics are exactly what you're asking. One thing to bear in mind as well is that the interiors (dash in particular) in the '01-'05 Sport Tracs and the '95-'01 Explorers are virtually identical, so search the audio subsection to get more results for the head units (this won't help the sub question too much, though).

I did a quick search and found a couple threads for you on the subs:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181660&highlight=subwoofer
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202621&highlight=stereo

Best of luck, I have to get back to work ;) . :salute:

Tom

Kenwood DNX-5120.

d2.gif

d3.gif

Dang that looks really good!
What kind of din kit did you use?

heres mine, Pioneer AVIC-D3

100_0265.jpg

100_0264.jpg

Did you guys just pull the old HU out and put the new one in or did you have to use a Din kit to make it fit or what?

Unless you are looking for something specific like navigation, I'd leave it alone. The quality is up there for a factory system and I honestly hate the look of an aftermarket deck.

The ones posted above do look great though and that would be the only way I'd ditch my stock deck.

Well I am just wondering whether they use din kits or just mount them in the stock din? cuz i want a screen like that but i dont know if ill need the kit or not ya know

Well I am just wondering whether they use din kits or just mount them in the stock din? cuz i want a screen like that but i dont know if ill need the kit or not ya know

yes, I used a din kit. i had to trim about 1/4" off the factory stereo bezel, but other than that its not too bad of an install. although you do have to tie into the vehicles VSS, which kinda sucks. but overall, I couldnt be happier with it. the navigation is amazing, as is the DVD player, the sattellite radio, the bluetooth, and the backup camera. it was pricey, especially with all the extras, but wellll worth it.

Do the stereo controls in the rear seat still work with the AVIC?

Clarion MAX675VD:

IMG_2373.gif

IMG_2370.gif

IMG_2365.gif

Subs behind the seat:

IMG_2706.gif

Hey I was wondering if anyone of you w/ the DVD HU have bluetooth through your stereo and if you do, do you like it? Cuz Im thinkin Ill hold off on my fiberglass fenders and get this first since " I need bluetooth " anyway and thats as good of an excuse as any to get a new HU

Thanx

Dang that looks really good!
What kind of din kit did you use?

Sorry for the delay. I forgot I posted here.

I used a Scosche kit for the side mounts and filler plate and a Metra kit for the rear bracket that attaches to the stock metal track at the bottom.

I sanded and painted the filler plate to match the stock bezel. In addition, I lined the back-side of the bezel with black felt to prevent any light escape/tiny gaps.

It's all about taking your time.

As for BT--no idea. I only have iPod controls going into the rear. My BlackBerry is not supported by the unit's BT interface, so I never added it.

Hey Flounder, I was looking into installing the Kenwood DNX-5120, because I like the integrated GPS and I pretty much only use my ipod for music and hate the sound quality from FM transmitters. I was wondering which kits from Scoshe and Metra you used. I was taking a look at their kits but have no clue of which ones I need.

Thanks.

Upon reading an old post of mine, I realized I only used the Scosche kit. I sold the Metra because I did not like its fit/placement in the bezel. For the Scosche pieces (plate, side brackets and rear guide bracket), the kit is FD1330B. You will need a DIFFERENT HARNESS! I wrote the below for 04-05s.

This is a post from another site on my install:

Things to know:

- Mounting Kit: Scosche FD1330B. It includes side mounting plates, a rear piece that attaches to the rear of the HU and slides onto the OEM track (that the OEM radio slides on), and a filler plate that has 2 single DINs but can be clipped out to fit one Double-DIN (what I did). The paint is noted below. To match, I took the filler plate, sanded it with (what I recall) 1000 grit sandpaper until it lost its texture, washed it, and then sprayed it with three or four coats to fill any sanding grooves, etc.

- Paint: From AutoZone. Dupli-Color DARK GRAY (M) CC, UPC 0-26916-80564-5, cap color number E8800564. It's what I call a 98% match. Because it's metallic, if you hit it with a halogen, it'll refract the light a little differently than the '04 bezel. But, for all purposes--in daylight, at night, etc., the match is dead on.

- Harness: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9Sh51Dlkred/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=103000&i=120705521&tp=2977. This is meant for the 6CD Changer (non-Adrenalin) with subwoofer. It includes everything you need to fire the sub (note the little harness with RCAs).

- Transistor: http://www.dennisjudd.com/?s=ford+escape+radio. This link is most helpful. And the transistor, as noted above by Chad (who helped me with this problem--thanks Chad!), will stop the sub from popping. Aftermarket HUs fire at 12v, while the Ford uses 5v. Easiest way to install it is to take the blue/white (sub remote on) from the new head unit, slice it, run a wire to the transistor, ground the transistor, and run a wire back to the new head unit's harness. If you notice, the Crutchfield harness has two blue/whites. You onl need one; however, I joined them when I tied into the new head unit harness (note that I spliced the transistor into the HU harness [from the radio to the Crutchfield harness, which only has one blue/white] and not the Crutchfield harness; this gets around the two wire issue when cutting and rejoining). It will not hurt anything. As for mounting the transistor, to the right of the radio area in the dash is a metal dash support. In the center, there is a small hole. You can use a small bolt and nut to attach it. To do so, pull down the glove compartment and reach up to hold the bolt as you tighten it.

transistor_wire.JPG

- Mounting the new unit: Home Depot has the screw sizes you'll need (I forget exactly, but they're weird sizes and very shallow lengths for obvious reasons--i.e., don't use a pointed screw to go into the unit, etc.). Check the manual, and look through their screw drawers (usually have four to a pack). To make mine a little different, I went by the stated screw sizes (millimeters in depth and thread type), but used hex screws with washers (to spread out the stress on the install plates that attach to the side of the radio). To each their own.

- Wiring: I recommend soldering and headshrink tubing. Radio Shack has the tubing (get it while getting the transistor) and soldering is not difficult. However, you also can twist and tape or use wire crimps. But, again, I recommend soldering. If you've never done it, it's really easy, and with the tubing, makes for a very, very clean install.

- Bezel: You WILL have to trim it to make a DDin fit. Follow Sal A's project (listed in the menu choice to the left). To keep from damaging areas I didn't want to Dremel, I masked the entire bezel with masking tape (and I mean the WHOLE thing--covered the vents (keep out plastic shavings), etc. After I was finished trimming and untaping, I then washed it gently. Let it air dry before reinstalling, of course.

What else can I tell you? If you have any questions along the way, definitely e-mail me. I did the install no more than a month and change ago, so everything's pretty fresh.

omg, thank you in4no. I was trying to figure out where to put my subs!! Now i need to cut that back panel out and make a box :D

About the head unit, if i were to get one, would i need to buy a Double DIN or could i get a regular?

What is the deal with the Metra kit... I just spend 2 hours trying to get this to fit my avic d3 and NOTHING is working. I trimmed the bezel no problem top and bottom, double din fits... trim piece fits... as soon as I put the trim piece and try to put it over the double din avic d3, only one side will fit, the whole front bezel then is recessed again into the avic.... and you see gaps everywhere. I'm going to get the American International kit because this metra one is total garbage!!! jesus I'm so mad, why didn't ford just do a Double din to begin with.... idiots!

-Nigel

Holy thread bump Batman! Not sure what your problem is, because my double-din Pioneer fits like a glove with the Metra kit. Did you get the correct kit? Did you trim the correct pieces from the factory dash?

IMG_20131206_134342_453.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the metra 95-5600 Double DIN:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT01RI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I trimmed the correct upper and lower portion of the bezel. Didn't touch the sides at all.

What happens is the bezel will click in but it won't go around my Avic D3... it's like it is too small. So what happens is the trim piece is recessed then the avic d3 is recessed inside the trim piece... think of stairs in a way or a box inside of another box...

I just ordered the American International kit to see how that will fit. Plus it brings it more flush with the radio bezel...

I'll update once I get it next week.

-Nigel

Back