adding radio to the accessory delay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adding radio to the accessory delay

sloop

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 xlt
'95 xlt

i never knew i had the accessory delay - i assumed that if i did, the radio would be on it (like gm cars) - looks like the power windows and moonroof (i don't have one) work on the accessory delay but not much else

looking at the ford cd for my explorer, it looks like for the radio, there are 2 paths for the positive power supply - one for hot at all times and one for hot in accessory or run

the positive power supply for the windows and moonroof both go through the same wire at the accessory delay

i placed my ingition in the accessory position and the windows operate (i knew the radio would but was not sure about the windows)

could i move the radio's 'hot in accessory or run' wire to the accessory delay wire not fry anything? would it work? would i draw too much juice for the circuit?

i did search before posting but found no information

my radio is the base am/fm cassette - no subwoofers or other amps

accessory delay wire is lb/bk
radio hot in accessory or run wire is y/bk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iv been wondering this too! I was going just going to find the delay circuit and run a new 12v line to the radio. Its on my list of things to do. I may be motivated if someone tells me where the delay circuit is.

the ford cd for the 1995 explorer shows the accessory delay relay is located in instrument panel relay module number 4 - that module is under the dashboard on the driver's side

the wire color code is lb/bk (light blue/black) - it enters the module on pin 5 - from there, the lb/bk wire should go to the power window switches and moonroof switch

my question is "why"???????

the radio wire for hot in accessory or run is y/bk (yellow/black) - it looks the same for all the radios (1995)

i guess i should add that this wire would be run to the lb/bk wire instead of its current connection - not in addition to - meaning cut it and run it to the lb/bk wire

wonder if it would work

my question is "why"???????

so that your radio will continue to run after you have shut the car off...
My alpine iva-205 slides the screen back in and shuts off, then it turns back on slides the screen back down and has to reload my MP3 or DVD every time I turn the key. just a PITA

OK... but not sure what it really gains as the relay is dropped at a "touch of the door"... so you are gaining "what"? anyways, wiring it to the relay isn't going to cause a circuit overload... that's what its there for in general.

this was an easy one - i have a '95 xlt

while installing my autolamp/autodim mirror, i discovered my explorer had the accessory delay - it allows you to operate your power windows and moonroof for about 10 minutes after turning off the engine - if you open a door, the accessory delay is cancelled - (gm cars have this, but their radios continue to operate also)

i wanted to add my stock radio to the accessory delay - i referred to the 1995 ford cd and found the wire color codes

for the standard and premium radios, the power is supplied on these wires

lg/p - hot at all times
y/bk - hot in accessory or run

i cut the y/bk wire behind the radio and attached a wire to feed to the alternate power source - i did not touch the lg/p wire

since the power windows operate with the accessory delay, i found that the power supply that fed into the accessory delay relay is the lb/bk wire - i tapped into the master window/door lock control switch behind the driver's side cowl (behind the emergency brake)

i don't think i have the premium sound radio, but it looks as if it would work for it as well (the amp has its own 'hot at all times' power supply) - (i do have the rear radio controls so maybe it is the premium radio) - i am not sure this would work for the 'lux' or 'lux/jbl' radio because those have a third power supply to the radio (r/w - which is hot in start or run)

Back