Lifting a 2003 Ford Explorer without lift kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifting a 2003 Ford Explorer without lift kit

jeffwhiteis

Reaction score
I know this has been a common topic throughout the forum, but here we go...

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT, 2WD, and although I will not be doing any serious off-roading anytime soon, I would still like to raise her up just a little bit. I understand the logistics of suspension & body lifts, and understand that coil spring spacers are available, but isnt there another way; i thought i overheard a forum topic once reagrding adjusting the control arms?

Is this possible? If so, what are the necessary steps. If not, what exactly goes into the process of installing coil spring spacers, and what are the prices?

Jeff W.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this has been a common topic throughout the forum, but here we go...

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT, 2WD, and although I will not be doing any serious off-roading anytime soon, I would still like to raise her up just a little bit. I understand the logistics of suspension & body lifts, and understand that coil spring spacers are available, but isnt there another way; i thought i overheard a forum topic once reagrding adjusting the control arms?

Is this possible? If so, what are the necessary steps. If not, what exactly goes into the process of installing coil spring spacers, and what are the prices?

Jeff W.

I dont think that you can adjust the control arms, tho i may be wrong. Go the the modified section and you'l see a stickey with the strut spacers. they run 225 plus shipping for all four. installation is tricky, i had a shop do mine.

hope this helps

chris

I think he's talking about cranking the torsion bars on the 2nd Gens. Sorry, its a no go for the 3rd Gens.

Yea, I did some more research and its called a Torsion Twist? Tightening the 2 torsion bar bolts in the front to gain an inch or two. I ready some topics for the 3rd Gen, is it true that its a "no go" for the 3rd Gen?

Why exactly?

You'll need either coil spacers, extended coils or extended struts. Those are the three options available at this time... and/or adding larger tires.

Yea, I did some more research and its called a Torsion Twist? Tightening the 2 torsion bar bolts in the front to gain an inch or two. I ready some topics for the 3rd Gen, is it true that its a "no go" for the 3rd Gen?

Why exactly?

The 3rd Gen does not use torsion bars it uses coil springs in the front and rear.

oh, ok. what price range am i looking at, including labor, to have coil spring spacers installed?

oh, ok. what price range am i looking at, including labor, to have coil spring spacers installed?

If you are interested, you can read the link below and get details directly from the fabricator. But even further down, the price is answered except for the installation which we have determined varies based two corners vs. four, where you live (plays part in shop rates), and how greedy the shop you use it, or if you have a good friend who could do it for a case of beer. You could be looking anywhere from $10 to several hundred.

Sorry if I seem cross, but these questions get answered 25 times a day when they could be searched, and they were already answered here too.

I dont think that you can adjust the control arms, tho i may be wrong. Go the the modified section and you'l see a stickey with the strut spacers. they run 225 plus shipping for all four. installation is tricky, i had a shop do mine.

hope this helps

chris

Very informative, thank you.

One more quick question - are there any threads or posts regarding converting the side mirror lamps (puddle lamps) top turn signals. Im assuming just running a wire to the turn signal wire, would do the trick? If so, would the wire have to be spliced in front of the flasher, wherever that is located at.

Jeff

No you can not do that, doing it just like that would mean that when ever the puddle light turns on the turn signals will too, do a search, you'll find some threads, I think you'll need a relay + diodes, not sure...

yea, if I left the power wire in tact, and just spliced it in, then yea it would turn the turn signals on too, but I was planning on just disconnecting the power wires and running them directly to the turn signal wires. That should work, right?

My only problem is that I do not want to have to run the new wire through the mirror and the door. Im trying to find a wiring diagram that will allow me to locate the power wire of the puddle lamp, and splice the new wire in such a way that is closest to the turn signal (i.e., maybe somewhere in the engine compartment or under the dash or something)

I'll do a search, but am hoping that someone will have pictures of the puddle lamp power wire where I can easily access it.

Flashing puddle lights? Not a bad idea at all... Unless the dome lights come on and flash too. :)

Ha, I hope not. But Im planning on just cutting off the source to the puddle lights and just wiring them directly to the turn signals.

Just trying to find the easiet way to access the hot power wires of each puddle lights on each side, without having to feed new wires thru the mirror and door.

Jeff

Try the door locks? I like that flashing puddle lights... Might try it.

Ok, so you do no't want puddle lights anymore, you want to use them instead as turn signals, I get it now, yes you can do it as you say, cut the wires that turn the puddle light on, and hook it to the turn signals...

I think you can put aviator mirrors with turn signals and keep both functions, you're splicing wireas anyway

The cost of the installation runs so far from 120 to 480(my good friend charged me this:mad:)

so you are looking at location, type of shop and time of year to be a big deciding factor in this. hope this clarifys a little more for ya.

Chris

Yup ^^ The shop I USED to deal with told me that too... that's just a rip off.

lifting my 03 2wd

Ok I'm new on here but i have an 03 xlt 2wd I Wang to lift it I was thinking of doing a 2inch body lift and some btf fab strut spacers and i was wondering how much lift for the btf fab spacers with no issues and what complications I will have with a 2in body lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back