Lift Kits | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Retci

Reaction score
City, State
Carbon Hill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xtl v8
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've been trying to find information about putting a Suspension lift kit on my '02 xlt V8 4x4 explorer. I haven't found anything specific for that year and submodel. Sooo... here's my question for all of you: What have you done to your explorer to get a lift on it?

I've seen people suggest body lifts, but am unsure about doing one. I've only got experience with suspension lifts.
My brother has the same ford explorer (his being a V6 vs my V8) and he took off LT285/75R16 and put LT265/75R16 on his, without changing a thing. We thought at first that his had a lift, but now we don't.

I can find leveling kits, lift kits for Explorer Sports/Rangers. Are these going to be the same? I wasn't sure if the suspension was the same for a Ranger or Explorer Sport vs Explorer XLT.

Thank you guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift options for 2002 are the same from 2002 through 2005, or 3rd gen explorers, and has been thoroughly discussed already in other threads. If you navigate to the 3rd gen modified category you will find a topic for "Modified 3rd gen forum's best threads" which has threads that fully cover body and suspension lift options for 3rd gens.

The Explorer Sports of these years are completely different animals than what you have. They’re essentially second gens.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've been trying to find information about putting a Suspension lift kit on my '02 xlt V8 4x4 explorer. I haven't found anything specific for that year and submodel. Sooo... here's my question for all of you: What have you done to your explorer to get a lift on it?

I've seen people suggest body lifts, but am unsure about doing one. I've only got experience with suspension lifts.
My brother has the same ford explorer (his being a V6 vs my V8) and he took off LT285/75R16 and put LT265/75R16 on his, without changing a thing. We thought at first that his had a lift, but now we don't.

I can find leveling kits, lift kits for Explorer Sports/Rangers. Are these going to be the same? I wasn't sure if the suspension was the same for a Ranger or Explorer Sport vs Explorer XLT.

Thank you guys!
the ranger and explorer sport lifts are applicable to the 2nd gen since the ranger has torsion bars, and same with the sport. for '02 the 4 door explorers differed from the ranger and were no longer rangers with an suv body. iirc there are different struts available etc, there is a member on 35s iirc he has a 3rd gen green headlights roof basket iirc.

i have seen 3" coil spacer lifts with BTF UCA iirc might be mixing stuff up though

Check out the member photos and registries to see photos of 3rd gens with various lifts, tire sizes, wheels, etc to get an idea of what you might like. The registries include all of the information about the work done on the vehicles and you can ask the members anything about their rides. There are a decent selection of lift options for your Explorer.

The four wheel independent suspension doesn't lend itself to extreme lifting, as the angle on the CV joints & ball joints increase as the height goes up. As posted above special upper control arms are used to deal with the ball joint angle. Shock spacers are used, and are basically the same as leveling kits. The design limitations are why body lifts are often used to raise the 3G Explorer.
Obviously combinations of both spacers and body lift are used in conjunction as well.
So, a few of the modifications would be spacers, Rancho Quick Lifts, body lift, or some combination thereof.
Price is going to vary a good bit, depending of course on what options are utilized.
Edit: I forgot to mention that when you lift the independent suspension, you also will need camber kits and some serious four wheel alignment.
I run Quick Lifts and OEM control arms, tires are 255/70R17 (31") on OEM wheels, MOOG camber kits, alignment done with tape measure and mason's line.
The Quick Lifts are basically an RS 9000 adjustable shock absorber, with a stiffer or higher perched spring. I don't recall the complete assembly being significantly longer than OEM, less than 10mm IIRC. Yield is about +1.75" on the suspension, and about another inch from the 31s. So Quick Lifts are definitely on the low end as far as yield. Ride is on the stiff side, works amazing on the paved back roads, if you like it sporty of course. That is where the IRS shines, but I definitely prefer my 2G for off-road.

Yeah unfortunately, if you REALLY want to lift your explorer, you're going to have to do a solid axle swap. Otherwise you're looking at a maximum maybe 6 inches of lift, and even that is pushing it.

Yeah unfortunately, if you REALLY want to lift your explorer, you're going to have to do a solid axle swap. Otherwise you're looking at a maximum maybe 6 inches of lift, and even that is pushing it.
Unfortunately that is what I've come to the conclusion of as well. -_-
I mainly wanted a lift on my Ex because we live down a dirt road and the ground clearance doesn't *quite* make it sometimes. So I was trying to look for a solution of comfort <this is my daily and have kiddos> vs adaptability.
Thank you guys!

I mainly wanted a lift on my Ex because we live down a dirt road and the ground clearance doesn't *quite* make it sometimes. So I was trying to look for a solution of comfort <this is my daily and have kiddos> vs adaptability.
Thank you guys!
Oh if you do about a 2 inch suspension lift combined with bigger tires you'll be fine. Bigger tires adds to the averall lift/clearance. If you combine body lift with suspension lift you can go all the way up to a 35 inch tire which will put your overall "lift" at about 9 inches I'm guessing. Which should put your overall ground clearance around 15 inches? Guys, chime in if you know. But yeah if you need more lift than that to make it down your road, you don't need a lift, you need a new road lol.

Thank you guys!
If you're worried about comfort, I think a 2 inch spacer lift should clear 33s. If not, an additional 1 inch body lift should get you there. Or do a little trimming. Lift plus 33s should get you a fair bit of clearance without compromising comfort. As long as you don't go over 2.25 inch spacers I don't think you will notice any ride difference.

I currently have 31.5" tires on mine with no lift, and just that alone has made quite a noticeable difference. I plan to do a 3 inch body lift plus 2 inch spacers (because I also don't want to lose ride comfort) and 33's. And I know that 35's would fit but I feel like I'll be happy at 33.

Sorry, above where I said 15 inches clearance, I think it's actually closer to 12 or 13 inches max actual frame to ground clearance. Like I said I'm sure there's someone here who can get that info.

Back