grinding noise when wheels to the right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

grinding noise when wheels to the right

JDavis0911

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, I have a strange grinding noise when I turn my wheels all the way to the right, but only when I am moving. If the vehicle is stationary then no noise is present. Does this sound like a wheel bearing or a a cv joint or something?

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it could be the front left wheel bearing. Do you notice a grinding noise when driving straight when say going slow(rum rum rum) and then when you speed up a little it goes(rum rum rum)? Also, how far do you have to turn before you notice the sound?

I think my front left is going bad because I notice it lightly when driving straight and more so when I turn right. Turn left it kind of goes away.

I havent heard anything while driving down the road, and I do pay attention to those kinds of things. The noise is coming from the front right wheel well, this much I know. I have to turn the wheel considerably far to the right in order for this noise to be heard. when turning normally, to the right, no noise is present. I basically have to be attempting a sharp right turn to make the noise.

Thanks for the speedy reply

Do you have aftermarket wheels/tires? Since you say you turn to the right and the noise comes from the right, something could be catching? I would assume if the CV shaft was bad it would make the same noise either left or right. A bad wheel bearing gets louder when more pressure is placed on it (turning).

Hopefully someone else has dealt with this and can provide better info. I am one of those guys that need to be there;) Good luck and keep us posted.

Vehicle still makes a grinding when making a sharp right turn. Anyone have any more ideas? This sound is loud and obnoxious. Any help is appreciated.

Similar symptoms on my sisters car. I changed the wheel bearings and the noise was gone. Good luck on your fix.

Are your tires larger than stock or do you have aftermarket wheels? Check to make sure there is no rubbing of the tire when at full lock.

Even though it sounds like its coming from the front, it may be your rear diff. Change the fluid to the heavier weight. There is a TSB for it.

Do you have Auto 4X4? Mine starts grabbing in really sharp turns out of a parking spaces, which is normal.

i'll bring this thread back from the dead. i just started noticing a grinding sound similar to the OP, but the grinding is audible at the slightest tilt of the wheel to the right. so far i've swapped to different rims and pulled off all my brakes and all 4 rotors to see if anything was rubbing. No luck. the grinding sounds like a brake shield or similar thin piece of steel.

i made 3 full circles around the cul-de-sack (roundabout whatever thingy at the end of my road). the grinding is intermittent at first but becomes noticable around 39 seconds
th_VIDEO0028.jpg

I am going to have to go with wheel bearing, just a guess.

I am going to have to go with wheel bearing, just a guess.

driver side rear.....there was roughly 3/4" - 1" of play when i moved the wheel back and forth. i manhandled the wheel and spun it and was able to replicate the noise

Back