Wires missing from Charcoal Canister | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wires missing from Charcoal Canister

chinks

Reaction score
City, State
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all
Today whilst doing some maintenance on the rear of the Ex I removed the mounting bracket for the charcoal filter. This is the one above the spare wheel.
On taking the filter off there was no electrical harness connected to it. I searched all around the area but there is nothing there, not even any cut wires.
Has anyone got any idea why this would have been disconnected, what effect will it have on the running of the vehicle? (I haven't driven the Ex since buying it)
Below is a photo of the canister, the pencil is pointing at the electrical part of the canister that I am assuming should have a wiring harness plugged into it.
Many thanks
Chris
picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the vent solenoid. Should be connected to the Powertrain Control Module.
The purpose is to vent the gases from the tank via the canister to the engine to be burned of and not just vented to the atmos. I don't know whether this is the case for the UK spec cars as the emmissions controls aren't as strict as the cali codes. So i'm guessing the valve may be inactive in the uk.

wire

hi there not conected on uk cars .cheers chris

Thanks for replies

Thanks for the replies Janolsson and Chris Q, that puts my mind at ease.
Chris

i was thinking of removing the canister and joining the 2 pipes together.

Joining tubes together

That's interesting, don't know enough about the system, wonder if it will affect anything?
Anybody know

Back